Acadia Tours?

Gillian

Does anyone know any of the companies in the Bar Harbor area that give tours? I'm going up next weekend and not knowing the water up there instead of paddling by myself I thought I'd join a tour. There seem to be a few outfitters up there but I thought I'd ask if anyone had a recommendation . . .

Thanks!

A lot depends on where you want to paddle---There are at least two companies that run day tours directly out of Bar Harbor---Coastal Kayaks and Aquaterra---I'm assuming that you are bringing your own boat and won't be renting one of theirs----Aquaterra does more instructing(BCU training etc) than Coastal which tends to run half day tours geared towards the complete novice. If it were me I would go with Aquaterra if I had some prior experience paddling. If you want to go on the other, quieter, western side of Mount Desert Island, there are two or three outfitter--National Park Kayak Tours is one---I can't say anything about these folks. Of course where I really think you should go is Old Quarry Kayak Adventures in Stonington--where I guide--(unabashed plug!!) Lots more islands and is considered kayak heaven---however it is over an hour drive from Bar Harbor--where ever you go I'm sure you will have fun.

thanks for the info!! i'll definitely give them a call - my concern also was that it would be a complete novice trip . . . one of them even made you kayak in tandems which is out of the question :) i'll definitely be bringing my own boat . . . i'd love to paddle with you but it's already such a hike!!!!! drive to bar harbor and do a tour there and i'll come with :)

Rather than paying to go on a tour, why don't you hook up with an instructor and learn while you play? Ask Mark Schoon/Mel Rice if they have anything going on where you will be. Maybe you can get in on something already scheduled.

http://www.carpediemkayaking.com/about.htm

If you really want to go on a tour, contact Carrie at Aqua Terra in Bar Harbor and tell her Suz said hello!

http://www.aquaterra-adventures.com/

Suz

> I'm going up next weekend and not knowing

>the water up there instead of paddling by myself I thought

>I'd join a tour.

I have not used their services, but I would second the suggestion to contact Aquaterra and specifically Melinda Rice or Mark. They are nice folks. Another option is to see if the MDIPaddlers are having a trip over the weekend. This is not a big club with leaders who will essentially guide you, but they are solid folks and I found them friendly and welcoming. And they are likely to be paddling in one of the more interesting areas of MDI as well. Their website is:

http://www.mdipaddlers.com

I don't know your level of experience/skills or whatever, but there are some nice paddles out of Seal Harbor and Seal Cove which are away from the crowds. That said, the classic Porcupine loop is very nice. Just keep in mind the water in Bar Harbor is around 50 now while offshore it is around 45 and you need to be rather self reliant up there to say the least if doing stuff solo.

Unless your plans are fixed, you might want to think about Stonington.

Ed Lawson

Wow, thanks guys, Suz the first suggestion is the 4* training that's going on that weekend . . . I'm going along for the ride (don't think I'm ready for 4* yet) but I'll definitely give Aquaterra a call as that seems to be the primary recommendation . . .I'll be sure to say hi for you! :)

I know that there's an outfit that goes out of Seal Harbor, although I forget the name, off the top of my head. A very nice paddle is from Seal Harbor over to Little Cranberry island. I've seen a number of organized groups do that.

As someone mentioned - the water is very cold up there. Dress accordingly.

By the way, if you do paddle out of Seal Harbor, you'll see a monstrosity of a house. That's owned by Martha Stewart- it's right at the western entrance to the Harbor.

>

> That's owned by Martha Stewart-

>it's right at the western entrance to the Harbor.

Which leads to a great story about checking local bake sales to get recipes, but I digress.

Ed Lawson

Bartlett Island on the west side of the island, near the Acadia Natl. Park Pretty Marsh area, is a good paddling choice: you can circumnavigate if the conditions are right & you have company , if not there'll be lee somewhere. You won't be alone there. I think its a popular paddling spot.

If inland paddling feels more suitable , Eagle Lake would be hard to beat: boat ramp on the north end of the lake, totally undeveloped beautiful shoreline with Cadillac Mt.overhead , fairly protected from wind,and you might well have it to yourself. Jordan Pond is next door,more people but also more open, all set about with impressive mountains like "the Bubbles." I'm not sure about access though.