Guest guest

One thing I notice in the training advice is it doesn't seem to include training at actual race pace. It is mostly sprints or slow paddles. General training advice these days, based on the concept of specificity, focuses significant effort on training your body to function and be efficient at the race pace.

An example from when I was speed skating, if training for a 1000 m race (9 laps of a 111 m short track) you can’t maintain the proper pace in practice, everyone tires too quickly. An option is to do a set of three 3 lap sprints at 1000 m race pace with short rest in between (maybe 30 to 60 seconds), then a longer rest between sets. This way you do the full distance at the proper pace.

I recall that scientific studies of marathon training has shown little benefit to running sprints in the final training phase, Work at race pace was more beneficial.

Just something to consider.

Ralph

Ralph Cohn

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim

You're not listening carefully enough. No one can go out every day and paddle the full distance at race pace. That's why they break the training into shorter distances, over which a race pace can be maintained, frequently done as interval training. And also note that I did not say you should do no sprints or distance work at a slow pace. But, training day after day always at the wrong paces, partly much too slow and then too fast and NEVER at the right pace is not the most efficient way to teach your body to maintain your target race pace. Why wait for one day on the weekend to develop a feel for the correct pace?

Ralph Cohn

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim

Oh, maybe he just didn't want to get into a lengthy debate with someone who already seems to have all the answers ;-) Advice from a demonstrated expert is one of those things that one can take or leave. But, to claim the advice is wrong is presumptuous at best.

Sure... that's plausible. But why not leave the material there to stand on its own and just not engage in any debate. It's unfortunate if the prospect of a little public contention should discourage folks from posting interesting and useful material.

Also, I'm disappointed because I only skimmed the article, and was figuring to go back and read it later in detail.

--David.