Anyone know if Clammers Beach is open to non-residents?

BigBird

21 minutes ago, Mtndan said:

Clamour‘s Beach is open to nonresidence. You do have to park further up the road, however as you’re entering Conomo point you will see a sign on the right hand side that tells you where to park.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, alcoons said:

FYI: Prime greenhead area and this is prime greenhead time. 

Thanks Al - I was wondering about that.  Greenheads seem to love me.  I was at Cranes last weekend and there were no GH's so thought Essex bay would be fine?  When do they typically disappear?

Hi Bob,

I have not paddled there recently (injured) but they generally are around from early/mid July through early/mid August. I believe their appearance is related to the full moon in July and ends with the one in August. I tend to avoid Essex Bay during that period. Not sure about the relationship between Cranes and the rest of Essex Bay. I read the winds reduce the greenheads on any given day but not sure.

I have friends that have a place at Conomo (where Clammer's Beach is located). I will try to find out the Greenhead situation from them and post here.

My friend immediately returned my message. He said, "The greenheads are not bad this year."  

I have had some luck in past years during early greenhead season arriving prepared to launch quickly (usually the first bite increases the motivation). Once I was on the water the greenheads seemed uninterested in me but do not know if you can generalize from my experiences.