Update on The Winthrop Town Landing Put-in

alcoons

As parking has become problematic at the last lot before Deer Island, many of us have found the Winthrop Town Landing a great place to launch for the Harbor Islands, outer Boston Harbor, etc. The extra paddling is balanced by sufficient parking most times, bathrooms, and an easy put-in.

There has been an inconsistent policy about the $5 fee for launching over the last few years. At first I was told the fee was for launching at the great new boat ramp, not for shore launches. Then some of the employees said it was collected for anyone launching either at the ramp or the shore launch immediately to its left. I spoke to the Harbor Master and his assistant over time and the answers varied.

NOW

Launching on the ramp now costs $10. However, there is a clear statement under Parking under the first link above: "Fees apply to use of the boat ramp and not parking."  I stopped in recently and the Assistant Harbor confirmed the policy.

Notes

• As you enter from the street go straight, staying to the left. There are some parking spots just before the ramp marked for car top boaters! However, you can park anywhere as long as the spots are not marked for other use (such as trailers, etc.).
  • Overall, I have found the staff there very nice, and the entire place is well run. It was just the inconsistent fee situation that was bothersome.