Traveling W/ Paddles

Suz

I was able to carry on my paddle bag with 3 shafts and two sets of blades AND my drysuit folded inside it. No one even batted an eye even when it was still dripping with sea water on the return trip.

Suz

For flying with ~all~ your gear -- pfd, skirt, various kits, water bottles, dry suits, booties,... everything -- THE trick seems to be a hard-shell golf bag container. I learned this from Joe Galloway (tvcrider on NSPN), and it works great. Paddles go in it too, and are protected by the hard shell.

Here are a bunch, some hard-shell (recommended) some soft (guess you could try, but why?). They seem to start under $100, though I understand Joe got his on sale for something like $40.

http://www.golfjoy.com/Hard-Soft_Cases.htm

--David.

I checked two bags - both soft side and threw in a couple of mesh bags as a "just in case" I can't fit it all in on the way back. One bag was from North Face and had shoulder straps so that I could throw it on my back if necessary. The other was a wheeled soft side duffel. I brought all my own kit - first aid, repair, cag - everything that normally goes in my boat for day trips. Upon advice of friends, I packed my bags with a little of everything in each rather than in an organized manner. That meant if one bag was lost, I would probably still be able to paddle.

I prefered having my paddles and drysuit packed as a carry on - certain things you just don't want to be w/o!

I found at the end of the week that I didn't use much in the way of "regular clothes" that I brought. I pretty much lived in my dry suit and should have left home my surfskin/dry top/rash guards and stuff like that.

I'm working on a trip report but with the kitchen/bath gut/remodel, I am pretty strapped for time.

Will say that Cornwall was absolutely beautiful with stunning cliffs and sea caves and beautiful waters which were already about 50 or so. I paddled with Jeff Allen for five days and got to see Land's End and the Lizard on Spring tides. Did a great night paddle and the water was filled with bioluminescence. Hope to share more soon.

Suz

Hey - I was going to post the idea of the golf bag. It makes so much sense. I figured it out after my New Zealand trip where they restrict the number of bag but not the weight.

There are some semi-hard ones out there which seem sufficient and they have so much volume that you could put lots of your clothes (maybe not the pfd).

Suz - let's hear the stories.

Karen