Odiorne to Rye 8/7

JanetL

On Saturday, David, Karen, Doug and I headed from Odiorne to Rye with sunny skies, hot air, and relatively calm seas. We were joined at Odiorne by what must have been 90% of the sea kayakers in the area -- there was a large AMC trip and a NH based ski club (going paddling for lack of snow, I guess) launching at more or less the same time as us, but we managed to avoid picking up any spare paddlers. 

With not much action for rock play, we made very quick time down to Wallis Sands where we were very surprised and pleased to find lovely surf to play in. There were only a few swimmers present so we had our choice of spots -- what a treat! I obliged Prudence's edict to do something silly for her by launching off the beach after a swim with no spray skirt, filling my cockpit nicely with water and giving me an excuse for dump-and-scramble practice past the breakers.

Heading on towards Rye, I saw a seal and pointed it out to Karen who replied back "Well, I saw a great white". (Much to my relief, she was recounting an earlier and non-paddling boating trip).

At Rye we discovered that there is very little landing real estate at high tide (see photos). Also for the record: the lobster roll store takes ApplePay and the lobster salad rates 4.5 / 5 stars, per David. 

Our paddle back was largely uneventful other than a near-miss with a solo diver who had no flag or other marker lurking around some lobster buoys . We suspect he was poaching lobster traps and trying to be low profile, but I bet we gave him a good startle. 

Thanks to all for a great day, and if you missed it, I think the lobster pound runs weekends through September. 

boats.jpg

david.jpg

karen.jpg