Mounting Thule HullaPort to Yakima Roof Racks

leong

I can't tighten the Thule metal straps to the cylindrical Yakima bars tight enough; the whole unit easily rotates in the vertical plane unless I over-tighten the bolts. Of course, with the kayak in the carrier there is no torque in the vertical plane so I guess it's not a problem.

Any suggestions?

<Maybe a small piece of rubber hose over the bar at the connection points?>

Or (as I have done for a few seasons, now) simply wrap swimming pool "noodles" around the bars: they are quite comfy for your boat, I think, Leon.  (Oh: I carry my boats upside-down, so this may not appeal to you -- or your aesthetic?)  ?

11 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

A rubber bushing to take up the slack? Maybe a small piece of rubber hose over the bar at the connection points? Only have your description for my understanding. 

Hi Paul,

Slack is not the problem. You tighten a pair of plates against the cross bar. The problem is that there insufficient friction on a round bar. Look at the video - it's almost the same model carrier that I have. You gave me a good idea, though. I think wrapping the bar below the carrier with some rubber sheeting might provide sufficient friction as you tighten the plates against the bar. 

4 hours ago, Pintail said:

<Maybe a small piece of rubber hose over the bar at the connection points?>

Or (as I have done for a few seasons, now) simply wrap swimming pool "noodles" around the bars: they are quite comfy for your boat, I think, Leon.  (Oh: I carry my boats upside-down, so this may not appeal to you -- or your aesthetic?)  ?

Sir Christopher,

Two problems with your solution:

1. On my trip to Florida, once the kayak is sitting almost sideways on the carrier thingies, I load all of my kayaking gear into both hatches and the cockpit. If the cockpit was upside down the stuff in the cockpit would pop the cockpit cover and fall out. And even if I preloaded the boat, it would be difficult to hoist it onto the car (The weight of the gear alone is probably 40 pounds). No room in the car’s trunk and back seat for all of this stuff in addition our luggage for the trip.

2. For such a long trip at generally >70 mph highway speeds driving south I wouldn't trust the kayak sitting on noodles (not enough yaw friction). As it is, I depend on my bow and stern tie downs to hold the kayak firmly in the J carriers.

My trip out of America (to Florida) begins Friday.

Best

Leon-san

Another problem with the Yakima roof rack system is that the round bars sing loudly in the wind. I cut down the volume by covering the two bars with insulated pipe covers. I must use the Yakima system because Thule doesn't have a system to fit my 2015 Impala. Although the Yakima roof connector parts seem to be superior to that of the Thule system (which I use on another car) the Thule rectangular bars are superior for wind and connecting kayak carriers.