Refreshing sprayskirts...

Pintail

I wonder if anyone has had similar thoughts or even tried what I am thinking about.  After a time, sprayskirts seem to lose their efficacy and start to let in more water than when new.  I would like to try treating one of mine with something like Scotchguard waterproofing.  Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it?  Is it <likely> to work?  This is important to me: I spend much of my time upside-down!

Through the neoprene, I assume...(I have never come across that word "rand" used in this context, previously, Kate; but I <do> see it in my dictionary...to me, more usually, it is...money!)

Was wondering this very same thing 2 days ago, Christopher, whilst sponging out my cockpit at every stop. Not paddling in the rough stuff, yet I assumed any water must have been leaching through the skirt whenever it gathered in a low spot, typically towards the rear. Before I try Scotchguard or the like, I'll attach sprayskirt over empty, dry cockpit, puddle some water on top, wait a few hours, and check to see how much water is getting through.

g

Christopher, the issue is that neoprene becomes porous over time in areas where it's creased, compressed or stretched. Scotchguard is a water repellent, but not a waterproofer. It will cause water to run off of surfaces, but it's unlikely to stop it from penetrating in areas where it pools. Before using it on a neoprene spray skirt, I'd test it on a piece of scrap to make sure that it won't cause the fabric to delaminate.

To really seal your skirt, you'll need to apply a waterproof coating to it, but unfortunately, I don't have any recommendation for a product that's thin, flexible and stretches enough to work.

Aha!  The oracle has spoken.

I've been waiting for you to pitch in, Sir Brian!  Thanks for the information.  

It seems that this is the crux of the matter, then: <...neoprene becomes porous over time in areas where it's creased, compressed or stretched...> in which case, likely as not, there is really not much to be done about it.  Thanks, mate!

(When are you going to get waterborne again?)

Edited by Pintail

On 7/11/2020 at 1:44 AM, Pintail said:

Keenly awaiting experimentation results, Gary...please advise once completed?

After spending not a small part of the day attempting to produce an award-winning documentary of my leaking sprayskirt, I'm sad, but at the same time, relieved, to report, it's not as bad as I expected! Lights, camera, ACTION, to film all the water dripping through the porous neoprene, only to find ~1/2 cup water after 1 hour! I would gladly share the movie, but suggest you stream an archived MLB game, or watch the ice cube in your tea melt-equally as (un)exciting.

With the cockpit completely dry on this warm, sunny day, I secured the sprayskirt, pinched and raised the tunnel, then splashed pails of water over the skirt, tunnel and rim recesses every 10 minutes.

IMGP0466.thumb.JPG.01c5dfdf5b27cb36f0c8319fdcf4ae1d.JPG   IMGP0467.thumb.JPG.c15b68ed68a974d02fc84861c71dc0a7.JPG

After this trial I ensured that water was not leaking from the cockpit floor, after adding a few gallons-no leaks seen.

I can't explain why I've seen so much water in the cockpit at times. My neoprene socks are only good for a cup each. I don't think I'm alone among the upright paddlers experiencing this, but from here on out, I'll no longer pursue an answer.

OTOH, I think it prudent to do a thorough exam of your skirt (dark room, bright light behind skirt) to look for tears, creases, pinholes or thinning. I've had some success in the past addressing this issue with Aquaseal, aft of the skirt tunnel. On a hot, sunny, summer day, warm your skirt and tube of goop thoroughly, then apply and spread this magic stuff thinly over areas of concern. Let dry overnight. My results shown below:

IMGP0471.thumb.JPG.47d58357736fbcbceabf8c6b4c57dd99.JPG   IMGP0472.thumb.JPG.28f4cf3df265b3176650d7cf06781c83.JPG

Professor Nystrom might have a clue as to which solvent to use to thin Aquaseal, to apply more liberally?

Great work, Gary: I like the directoral work, especially -- not sure about the acting!  Photography very worthwhile, too!  (Perhaps a Nomination for that?)

Today, I believe I <could> feel/detect/sense the water coming in around my knees whilst capsizing, so that would confirm Brian's advice about the trouble usually being around the edges.  Like you, I wear only Snapdragon skirts and I suspect that the increased water pressure when upside-down is what is causing my problem...alas!  It isn't an <old> sprayskirt, either, although neither is it new.

I think I shall go your direction with the Aquaseal <and> some sort of external spray-on stuff, too.  I am not ready to trade-in for a new one yet!

(BTW: Who is it in NSPN who paddles a beautiful wooden boat (Night Heron?) in natural finish?  Seen <twice> yesterday evening, driving down Main Street, Gloucester, in a Subaru while I was at work!)

According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Aquaseal, the solvent in it is toluene. It's available at some paint and hardware stores, but the Big Box stores don't carry it.

BTW, if you ever want to know what's in something, just search for the MSDS. In this case, I Googled "Aquaseal MSDS".

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 11:06 AM, Brian Nystrom said:

According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Aquaseal, the solvent in it is toluene. It's available at some paint and hardware stores, but the Big Box stores don't carry it.

BTW, if you ever want to know what's in something, just search for the MSDS. In this case, I Googled "Aquaseal MSDS".

Brian,

FYI: we have had to replace our book of MSDS with SDS at the fire department as they SDS is the new standard:

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3514.html

You may not find MSDS or MDS for newer items.

-Jason

Thanks for the heads-up Jason. I wasn't so concerned with the safety aspects, really just with what the solvent is. You're correct that this data isn't always available and I've seen a few where you really couldn't identify key components of the product. Fortunately, the Aquaseal MSDS is explicit.