Winthrop Boat Launch Open

alcoons

I checked with the Harbor Master who confirmed that the Winthrop Boat Launch is open (I have not yet launched there this year).

• It is about a mile paddle from the end of Deer Island.
  • No charge to launch to the left of the formal, beautiful, new boat ramp. This is a primo launch. Usually you park right next to it. Carry down a very short, slight incline to the narrow beach. I have never had problems rolling my cart to the water. Never had any significant mud or soft sand.
  • Make sure you follow the markings for parking. They are very serious about keeping the parking organized by intended use (cars with trailers, harbor master, etc).
  • Note: In the past I have never had a problem parking but I have driven by on some weekends and the lot was. I have no idea how crowded it is now that so many people are not working.
  • The great bathrooms/showers (at the right end of the Ferry Dock/Harbor Master building across the parking lot) are NOT open at this point.

Sorry I was not clear.

As far as I know, nothing has changed with parking/launching.  There is just one large parking lot.  Usually, I can park right next to the put in/launch rather than other spots in the lot.

No charge for "parking", but the harbormaster said he would appreciate the $5 launch fee for hand carried kayaks.  You pay up at a machine next to the harbormasters office with cash and you get a receipt to put on your dash. The machine does not give change, so have a five dollar bill with you. I have the feeling that you wouldn't get fined if you didn't pay when hand carrying a kayak to the water. 

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the update, but I am wondering:

Was the harbormaster "appreciating" the fee when referring to the formal ramp rather than the shore launch? There has been a $5 fee for using the ramp. However, there has never been a fee to launch from the shore (which is as easy if not easier than the ramp for me). He did not mention the fee when I spoke to him last week about the shore launch.

Either way, it is a great facility and I am sure the town could use any income at this point.

Al

Al, to be honest, I am not sure if I was required to pay or not. I told him I used the beach to "launch" my kayak and asked if I should pay the "launch" fee. He said it would be appreciated. That is the word he used. It was really busy there with people trying to park all over the place at about 2:00 PM. He may not have been thinking clearly and everyone was hot (93 in the lot!), so I just gave him $5 and left. It's a small price to pay for a great spot, even if it is not expected or required for hand carries. 

Thanks, Nancy. That is very useful info. I have been worried about how crowded the parking lot would be on weekends given the limited number of available put ins. I agree about supporting the facility. The employees have always been very helpful and the facilities have been spotless.

I will post conditions here next time I paddle there.

Al