Paddle “Anywhere” 3/15/20 (West Beach to White Beach)

Joseph Berkovitz

Alex Debski called this trip, and it was a good idea. Beat the apocalypse, at least for the moment (in truth, that’s the best we can ever do) and get out there on some sparkling, clear winter water. 

image.thumb.png.12f78018595cc0293869f9184cf84886.png

Alex, Jim Snyder and myself set out from West Beach around 10.20 just before LT at 10.45. There was a solid NNW breeze and the temps were mid 30s in bright sun.   The beach had some weedy parts but it was really not bad at all. There was a very subdued, quiet long swell but in the lee of Cape Ann almost no wind waves. We headed east along the coast. 

Gales Point and Ram Island were as quiet as we’ve ever seen and we wandered at will among the slots and ledges. Alex has a newfound superpower at identifying seaweed and algae, and along the whole trip he kept up an edifying patter of Latin names for the various species. 

Singing Beach was full of perambulating people, and many dogs were seen failing to practice proper social distancing protocol. We sailed past  the beach, rounding Graves Island to land for lunch at White Beach. All this time the wind was dropping a bit and veering to NE and ultimately E, as predicted and then some. On our way back we had a pleasant tailwind and rear quartering wind at times. Alex found an attractive specimen of feathery bright green seaweed which he attempted to reconstitute in the calm water between our rafted boats, but the weed promptly dodged us and sank out of view before it could spread its tendrils. 

We landed in much higher water at West Beach around 2.15, about an 8.1 nm paddle when all was said and done. After loading up, farewells were exchanged according to Japanese and Wakandan custom, sans physical contact. 

I didn’t take any pictures, but maybe Jim did.

Hope to see everyone out on some salt water soon. 

...j

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

1 hour ago, Dan Foster said:

Sounds like the perfect antidote to the cares of the world. I'd love to learn more about the various seaweeds commonly found in our area on a future NSPN paddle.

What he said!

That's one of my fave paddles.

Edited by prudenceb