Gear Suggestions / Questions

birdseye

I'm in the market for a couple of new gear items and I could use some help before making my final decision.

First, I'd like to upgrade my spray skirt from nylon to neoprene for my Capella RM 166. I know a few of you here own or have owned a Capella and was hoping you could point me in the direction of a good neo spray deck for this boat.

Next. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Icom M32 VHF Marine Radio. I've seen the M2A mentioned as well as the M88 but no mention of the M32A. I've looked everywhere for a comparison on the Icom models but came up empty. Is transmitting range/distance a big factor in price? If not, what makes one better than another? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nelson

Snapdragon spray skirts are popular and generally well-regarded. The cockpit determines the correct spray skirt and I don't know if there are options for the Capella, etc. I'm sure you'll get at least one expert opinion. An option for gear I generally use is New England Small Craft, you always get good advice.

Radios, eh? You might as well have asked about trimming your dry suit neck gasket. In my opinion the most important characteristic of the radio is waterproofing/immersion. All the other specs don't matter if the radio goes on the fritz with the first breaking wave. Some use cheaper radios in bags which makes it more difficult to manipulate with gloves, effects the audio, etc. but saves money. I'd get educated on the meaning of the specs before you choose. Regarding transmission distance, it takes more battery power to transmit further so you'd like to have a high/low control or something similar. Actual experience with a particular brand/model (which I expect you will get) is another variable in the equation.

> Is transmitting range/distance a big factor in

>price?

No. The transmitting power and receiver sensitivity is typically the same or close across the range of radios. Price is usually a function of features, battery type, and size. The smaller radios might not perform as well is some conditions due to the fact the antenna, which are very compromised in all these radios, maybe even more so on the small radios. At least that holds true for the ham radios which are built from the same basic hardware. For ham radio use I have had a variety of ICOM radios, I prefer Yeasu/Vertex Standard radios, but others for equally valid reasons prefer ICOMs. There are detailed spec sheets for all these radios on the mfg. websites, but unless you know something about radios, much of the RF performance specs will be meaningless to you.

Getting a radio with adequate RF performance is easy. For example the RF performance of the cheap Cobra radios is great. Getting a radio which is MIL-SPECed to be waterproof and will stay that way, has a good battery, more features, and is small and rugged simply means more money. Only you can decide if a radio is too big to carry where you can get it when you need it v. so small/complicated it is hard to use with fingers that are cold and a brain that is confused.

> Any

>help here would be greatly appreciated.

I think for hauling around in your PFD you would want a very small radio like the M88. If you can get to Maine before Sat. Hamilton Marine is selling them for $225 in the stores which is a good price.

Ed Lawson

I believe battery technology is a major factor in the prices of VHF radios. Lithium-ion is the most expensive, but also the best. It holds a charge well on the shelf and is less susceptible to cold. My two VHFs with Li-ion batteries sometimes sit on the shelf for weeks or even a few months with very little loss of charge. I beleive that battery technology can make the price vary $100 or maybe even more. The lower-end units with Ni-Cad or NiMH can be a lot cheaper.

As for waterproofness, I can say for sure about these two high-end, supposedly submersible, Li-ion units: (a) the ICOM IC-M88 IS waterproof; (B) the Standard Horizon (Vertex) HX-460S IS NOT, even if you seal the obvious vulnerabilities like the mic and charging ports. (Anybody wanna buy a S-H H460S fairly cheap? There is still some warranty time on it, so you can keep exchanging it when it fails... or just stop pretending that it is waterproof and keep it in a bag.)

--David.

Almost 2 yrs ago I bought a SH460 like a bunch of other people in the club. This spring I noticed the antenna was rotting from the inside out. I took it into the store and they replaced the whole unit on the spot at no additional cost.

About 2 months later it failed on my very first solo camping trip. On my way home I stopped to complain. The very nice manager said if I had all the original stuff, charger, book, box they would take it back and replace it with the M88 at the difference in cost. Well, this was right after someone said that defender had them on sale. When I went home to get the box, I also printed the online price that Defender was advertising. Went back to the store and did the return - Defender was selling $10 CHEAPER than the original SH460 price I paid so West Marine was going to REFUND me the difference. I felt guilty about that so wouldn't let them - so we did it as an even swap. BUT they didn't have in stock so they shipped it from the warehouse at no charge.

First trip out with the M88 was a camping trip - found it wouldn't turn on, possibly a bad contact or something. So after that camping trip I stopped in at the same local West Marine who very apologetically replaced the M88 yet again on the spot at no charge to me with a brand new unit.

So, a long story, but I will certainly be buying all my electronics at West Marine - just can't beat the customer service. I would buy them there even at a higher price just so that I have the peace of mind to know that I can return as needed. (I always buy there extended warranty too although the units seem to fail within the original warranty time period)

So if Hamilton's sale price is listed anywhere, print it out and bring it to West Marine - they will honor it.

Suzanne

It appears that the biggest difference between the lower end M2A/M32 and the higher end M1V/M88, aside from size differences, is the battery pack. The M2A/M32 come with NiCd batteries that are rated for 7.5 hours of use per charge. The Lithium ion batteries in the M1V/M88 are rated for double that. The M2a comes with an alkaline battery tray that's optional on the M32. Although the Icom literature doesn't specifically state it, typically alkaline battery trays are NOT waterproof, so they have limited utility for kayaking other than as an emergency backup. West Marine offers an exclusive - and interesting - M32LI model that comes with a lithium ion battery.

It's worth noting that the M1V and M88 are both Mil-spec radios designed for rough handling and harsh environmental conditions. I believe that they're the only two VHF handhelds on the market to meet military standards. The spec is way too complex to get into, but suffice it to say that it looks to be very stringent.

The differences in price between models are not all that large. The M88 can often be found for $225-$240 and Icom frequently offers a $50 rebate on them, bringing the net price down to under $200. The M1V can be found on sale for ~$170, which is about the same price as the M2A. The M32LI is on sale at West Marine for $159.95, a mere $10 more than the M32, which makes it a very good buy. Considering all this, it makes sense to buy one of the lithium battery models, since there is no price penalty.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Thanks everyone for your input. I was hoping to use a gift certificate to City Sports to help out with the vhf but hearing about the support and the M32LI available from West Marine made me rethink that idea.

I was hoping to hear from someone who owns (owned) a Capella RM and used a neo spray skirt with it that could recommend one with a good fit (or a bad fit for that matter). I've heard that the neo skirts don't hold quite as well on rotomolds so I'd like to buy something I know will fit well. Thanks Bob for your SnapDragon suggestions - I've been looking into them.

FWIW, I have used the Harmony LC-1 EZ on a variety of plastic boats for more than a decade and have never had one come off inadvertently. The superdooper kevlar types may be drier but the Harmony is a lot easier to put onto the coaming and it's plenty dry enough for surfing or rolling or whatever.

Hope this helps,

Kate

I am so much of a NON-GEAR HEAD that I am lucky to remember the make of my boat, but after asking the same questions your are about radios and spray skirts on this site I bought an M88 and a Snapdragon. They seemed to be the no brainers...what everyone seemed to think are the obvious choices in a sensible price range if you wanted equipment that would do the job and last.

As always, the NSPN suggestions where right on target, at least for me. I am very pleased with both.

By the way, when I called Snapdragon for some information they were wonderful - trying hard to suggest the right product for my needs rather than the most expensive.

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

>> As always, the NSPN suggestions where right on target

>

>Well, not ~always~. The Standard Horizon VHF HX460S was not

>only an NSPN recommendation, it was a group buy!

>

>--David.

I must have joined the club at the right time. Guess I will stay out the archives.

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

What the heck, let's have some fun with this! I'll get it started:

- It's a pretty good paperweight.

- If you throw it at someone, it might get their attention.

- The constant shipping back and forth to the S.H. warranty department is a good way to test whether UPS, FedEx or the USPS has better service to the west coast.

- It can be used to teach product designers how NOT to build a waterproof radio.

- You can clean your ears with the antenna.

- The antenna also makes a good coffee stirrer...if you wipe off the ear wax first.

- It makes a passable tent stake hammer.