Changing Poncho?

jason

Does anybody have directions or a link to directions for making a changing poncho?

I would rather drive home dry and happy from the paddles from now on instead of wearing my wet cloths.

Thanks -Jason

They are very easy to make and require limited sewing skills. Some people make them out of terry cloth, sheets or flannel. I make mine out of windbloc fleece. I like them with a hood so that when your hair is wet you are a bit warmer.

Take a rain poncho and cut your material to match the width and adjust the length so that it is below your knees but not full length.

If you come to the meeting, you can see mine.

Suz

Terry is best. It dries you as you wear it. Synthetics inherently shed water and don't. Dries across or (usually) in a heap on the back seat. We also have a outer wind layer that doubles as a rain poncho.

When dry suit season starts I pull wind layers over the fleece and generally don't change. The breathable suit and the hydrophillic nature of the fleece is truly inspiring.

Also handy is a bath mat, especially when protecting your dry suit booties. Keeps the feet dry and off the ground in transition to your shoes in all seasons.

If you make it out of terry, watch the length. The terry seems to stretch some. It's a really simple project, though. You'll need to sew a few pieces together to make one long piece that is twice as long as you want the final robe. Sew the sides together leaving enough room for your arms. Cut a hole for your head and make a hem. Hem the bottom (if necessary, and you are done!

As with anything best for one isn't best for another.

Wet terry on your body is fine when it is warm but not particularly pleasant as the air gets cooler.

I prefer any microfiber over cotton for the changing fleece because I don't want the material to remain wet. In summer months, I leave it in my car and it isn't a sodden mess and doesn't require regular washings to keep it from stinking. In the winter, after I put clothes on, I can simply leave it on for extra warmth as I did this Sunday after surfing.

I use a small hand towel to dry off under my changing fleece prior to putting my clothes on.

Suz

>Wet terry on your body is fine when it is warm but not

>particularly pleasant as the air gets cooler.

I thought that this might become a problem, but there is so much terry that even with three wet paddlers using it (Bob, myself, and Ryan) it never becomes damp because it has so much capacity. It's a pretty big poncho though. It's probably 50" wide and long. I'm not so sure I would make it so big next time.

>I prefer any microfiber over cotton for the changing fleece

>because I don't want the material to remain wet. In summer

>months, I leave it in my car and it isn't a sodden mess and

>doesn't require regular washings to keep it from stinking.

>In the winter, after I put clothes on, I can simply leave it

>on for extra warmth as I did this Sunday after surfing.

>

Whether I leave it in the car or bring it in the house, it dries before the next paddle. The car gets so warm from the sun, and my house is also kept pretty warm. Of course, I don't leave it in a ball. We end up washing it about 3-4 times a season.