Paddling the Marsh at Seabrook

leong

What's it like to paddle the Marsh at Seabrook (anything interesting to see)? Is it worth a one hour drive (for me)? Anything to be aware of going out to the ocean and any good landing spots on the ocean side?

My usual paddling is out Manchester Harbor (35 minute drive) or Lanes Cove (45 minutes) or circumnavigate Cape Ann from Gloucester HS.

-Leon

Typical marsh and kind of maze like. Have not paddled it but did take a shortcut across as a kid. We were swimming a few times and learned a lesson that day...

Tides can run 2-3 knots under bridge. boat traffic and sand bars out on the south side. Beach landing outside but I usually stop at the beach under the bridge on the Seabrook side. Nice area in the summer. Everything inside the bridge is better at higher tides.

Seabrook marshes are very nice: As to whether its worth the longer drive:  I think the marshes behind Cranes Beach in Ipswich, or the Parker River behind Plum Island  would be my preferred  venue  if looking for a salt marsh paddle not far from  home. 

Thanks guys. I've done Essex bay and Plum Island so many times I just want to try something new. As you know, Essex Bay marches go dry at or near low tide. Is it feasible inside the Seabrook bridge near low tide, especially if you want to poke around the marshes?

Edited by leong

Thanks again guys. I'm going up to Seabrook in a week or two to arrive about an hour before high tide.

One more question. I'm not worried about paddling against a 3 knot current going through the inlet. But does a big tide race form? Going against a 3-knot current in a tide race is above my pay grade. I did just that going through the Jupiter Inlet in Florida when I capsized and failed a roll. Luckily, I was close to shore at the mouth of the inlet and and landed on a nice soft beach.

The video looks like wind driven waves coming in the inlet maybe stood up by wind?

For it to be "what I define tide race as" would be tidal water rushing over an uprising in the sea floor causing more of a standing wave pattern on the surface. This may happen without a lot of wind but is certainly amplified by opposing wind. They are known as great "relatively safe" play spots. IMO

Think Sugar reef, Wiccopiset Passage and Fishers Race in eastern CT. Off Popham and in Fundy. I even know a little one in Great Bay NH.

What kind of ebb flow at Jupiter Inlet? 

Hampton has a large breakwater and I have only seen the waves come partway in towards the faster water under the bridge. Wind against the current under the bridge will stand them up.

I would paddle with no worries in a  wind less than 15knots.

Thanks Paul. I'll probably visit Seabrook next week near high tide.

BTW, the normal maximum ebb at Jupiter Inlet is just about 3 knots.