Toyota Highlander (08-13) kayak carry?

ccarlson

Looking at potentially getting one of these previous-generation Highlanders but am somewhat concerned about the roof rails.  They are short and offset a lot to the rear of the vehicle.  Would result  in a lot of overhang at the rear of the vehicle.  Stupid design but, has anyone had any experience with this?  Thanks!

We had a similar problem on a Toyota Sienna.  We bought a single roof mounted rack which went on above the front doors.  We then used one of the cross bars on the factory rack.  This gave us a greater spread and moved the boats forward.  The only question is the height of the two bars relative to each other.

I had a 2006 Highlander and bought a Thule areoblade rack to go with the factory roof rack as I wanted to be able to carry two kayaks using the Thule glide and set. The only way I could comfortably get kayaks on top of the car myself was with the glide and set and without the areoblades the kayaks were too close together. I really liked the system as I could move the cross bars far apart for safer travel. I now have a Honda CR-V with the Honda roof rack set into the top of the car and I have no choice where to put the Thule feet. I don't like it as much as the crossbars are much closer together. The Honda is a little smaller in size so it's easier for me to get my kayak on top.  I don't know if the Highlander 08-13 models are different from the 2006.

Good luck! 

Janice

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info!  I ended up getting a 2017 Highlander as the financial deal turned out to be better.  Downside is that the rack mounts are fixed points and are fairly close together.  I think they will work though with appropriate bow and stern tie-downs.  Next challenge is getting the boat  up that  high... used to my Jetta wagon and this is WAY higher.  Will be installing the Hullavator tomorrow!  Thanks again.