July 8-9, 2017, camping Thacher Island, Rockport, MA

eneumeier

This will be a CAM trip so we will plan the details together. If you are interested in coming, reply here and send me a PM with your contact info. I told the keeper we would be a group of 10, but that is very flexible.

Here are the basics:  read about Thacher Island here:  http://thacherisland.org/

$5 per person landing fee (unless you are a member of the Thacher Island Association), plus $5 per person camping fee. The keeper will come to meet us, collect the cash, and have us sign the waiver form. The N. lighthouse is closed because a big piece of granite fell off. But, the keeper will meet us at an agreed-upon time and open the S. lighthouse (coast guard owned) if we want to climb up it. (She did that for people who wanted to watch the sunrise.) We should take time to hike around the island. And, conditions permitting, will likely paddle around it.

We have to bring ALL water (there is NONE available) and carry out ALL trash. There is a toilet facility. Bring insect repellent. The ant problem is reduced, but not eliminated. Poison ivy has been controlled on the paths.

If the weather turns bad, we will cancel. No money committed in advance.

July 8:  

leave from put in (TBD, based on how far people want to paddle with loaded boats. There are lots of ways to do this). We will need to leave cars at a safe location overnight and that might mean some shuttling. 

Time also TBD, but we will want to arrive in plenty of time to haul our boats up the ramp and move gear to the campsite area. For those new to kayak camping, packing boats can take a lot longer than you think.

Dinner:  we could bring food and cook there, or paddle into Rockport. Note:  full moon is Sunday night so it will be very light out (unless it is cloudy). 

July 9: 

Breakfast at campsite or paddle to Rockport

load boats and depart, route of choice back to put in, get cars. 

Liz

Edited by eneumeier
forgot to put my name

I'm in. I've never parked overnight in the area so I'll defer to the locals on that. I've always wanted to circumnavigate Cape Ann, so if the weather and tides cooperated, launching from Gloucester High School might be a fun option.

Anyone want to try some kayak fishing after we set up camp?

I am interested in local camping - hard to do Maine over a 2-day trip. I'm concerned with plan for night paddle to dinner and breakfast (?) Even if we have moonlight, seems sketchy if seas are choppy. I've done plenty of group meals and can organize dinner. Is there a limit to group size? This is a big task for a large group (>15), but fairly simple for 6-8. I will need help preparing, cooking, and cleaning - many hands make easy work. Can someone else do breakfast?
Gloucester to Thatcher is ~8 miles, so an easy paddle first day. On Sunday, was hoping to return to Gloucester going around cape Ann (13 miles), but tides are ebbing in the afternoon, which is paddling against the current with loaded boats. It can be done, but let's not plan it that way ;-) The same problem if we swap routes: 13 mile tour on Saturday puts us paddling down the Annisquam as tide is coming in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still willing to go (can't do the Aug dates). Is this campground reserved? Where in Gloucester can we park overnight? Are others still going?

My idea for July 8, 9 weekend is thus:  we meet in Gloucester or Beverly on Sat morning (location, time TDB) and pack boats. We paddle 8-12 miles to Thatcher and unload / setup camp around lunchtime. Paddle over to Rockland in afternoon and ?? or we can paddle to Halibut point, depending on group ability, conditions, and desire. Back at camp by 5:30 for happy hour and dinner prep, eat a fabulous group meal, then stories and jokes around campfire (rather candlelight - campfires not allowed). Breakfast and coffee next morning and few hours lounging around. Pack up and launch by 11:00 (?) and paddle back to launch, perhaps stopping for lunch on the way. Weather will obviously alter this plan. There is a $10 fee at Thatchers, plus around $15 for dinner and breakfast. Participants will need to help prepare, cook, or cleanup.

Some people are interested in making this a Cape Ann circumnavigation, i.e., the Blackburn route. That can be done from many starting points, as long as the tides work for getting through the Blynman canal.

I just spoke with the Gloucester police and overnight parking is not allowed at DunFudgin' (behind the high school) or in the high school lot. He recommended trying Lanes Cove: no signs prohibit overnight parking. If there are only a few cars, that is an option but I would not recommend leaving a lot of cars there overnight because it has heavy use by locals. Also, if people want to launch out of Lanes Cove, I can accommodate 5 cars in my driveway and would be willing to shuttle people. I am slightly less than 1 mile from the cove. I can paddle Saturday, but have to be home by 4 PM and cannot stay overnight. 

Liz

Good parking news. I just spoke to the Rockport police. Cars can be left at Granite Pier: park up on top and leave a note on the windshield saying you are staying overnight at Thacher Island. You can launch from the boat ramp, then easily move cars up to park. NOTE:  Make sure you do not block the boat ramp while packing your kayaks, as this is a very busy launch spot for boats.

Launching from Granite pier shortens the trip to Thacher considerably. So you can set up tents, then paddle where you wish.

Do people like this option?  Also, I need to know how many people will be camping, for sure, so I can change the reservation #. Please sign up on the calendar if you are going.

Liz

Guys, I am also withdrawing from this trip. I don't know if or how many are interested and I have another offer to pursue. It looks like another beauty weekend, so get out and enjoy. I presume Liz didn't pay a deposit, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

No deposit was required. I'll cancel the reservation I made. I was glad to learn that overnight parking is permitted on Granite Pier.

If others still want to go, you can simply phone the lighthouse keeper at 508-284-0144. Tell her when you plan to arrive, and how many people. She will phone you back to confirm. You pay, bring cash I think, when you arrive. 

Liz

Edited by eneumeier