Best Skirt for Explorer?

markstephens

OK, the weather is going to start getting colder and my collection of old leaky sprayskirts just aren't cutting it anymore. What is everyone's favorite neo skirt for the NDK Explorer? I want one that is a very tight fit so that it will also fit my whitewater and surfing kayaks. Also, my Explorer has very little clearance between the coaming and deck at the front of the cockpit, so heavy rubber rand-type skirts won't go on it.

TIA,

Mark

Mark... I use a Snapdragon and don' t recommend it as it leaks around the coaming. I am told, however, that Snapdragon makes a skirt specific to the Explorer that is specially cut to match the coaming contours. Haven't gone that route yet but also need to find a watertight solution!

One is the Kokatat Extreme - best reinforced deck, thick rand and hard to get on. I like this one best but my rear coaming isn't as low as on some boats.

My second skirt is Snapdragon that is made for the Explorer cockpit -I got it when I bought the Romany. This one gets less water in through the cockpit but as it is a large tunnel, it gets more in over the top when I am playing around. The deck isn't as "sturdy", no reinforcements but I get less in around the cockpit coaming. This skirt is OK in the winter for me as it tucks under the tunnel of my drysuit.

Next time we are surfing, you can take a look and try them out. You can borrow one and try it for awhile.

Suz

I don't know what the best skirt is or if there is a "best" skirt, but my vote goes for Snapdragon. Earlier this season I purchased an Ocean Trex supratex spray deck for my Romany. A few weeks ago I noticed that there was a small hole near the grab loop. I wrote to Snapdragon and asked where it could be repaired. I had no idea how it happened, but they did not ask. They apologized for the inconvenience and instructed me to send it back to them for repair as they warranty the deck edge and taping for the life of the skirt. Yesterday I received a brand-new spray deck. I'm a customer for life now.

Hi Mark,

I have had a Mountain Surf spray deck for a couple of years. Since I coach quite a bit it goes through a lot of rescues & is on and off alot. It is very tight (you wount kick out of this deck)so it is pretty dry. It have a breathable Syplex tunnel which I prefer.

Enjoy,

Chuck

The Kokatat Off-Shore Extreme has a hardy deck and the best grab loop attachment of any skirt I know. It is the skirt that Tom Bergh recommends and uses on his Explorer.

My two favorite skirts are the Kokatat Off-Shore Extreme and a Valley/Seals -both are all neo. Both medium decked, they fit on both my Romany and Aquanaut. The coaming on my Romany is quite low set (a typical NDK issue) and the Kokatat skirt is harder to get under the coaming and the Seals skirt is harder to get off the coaming.