The Guillemot Visits Misery

rylevine

Hi Jason,

I'm embarrassed to say that the starting point was in Feb, 2011! We had an NSPN Workshop on kayak construction at the Pinkham building in Lynn. Examples of cedar strip, skin on frame, and stitch and glue were discussed. Fred Randall gave a talk on skin on frame kayaks, and Mike talked about strip boats. Here is the title to the General Message Board announcement and report on the workshop, which you can search back to (I had trouble inserting the link itself).

KAYAK DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION WORKSHOP

Started by rylevine, January 18, 2011

The uploaded picture from the workshop report is of the Guillemot in the early phases. What with the usual "fog of war" stuff, a five month project morphed into a five year project. Hence the embarrassment...The boat on the left is a stitch and glue. These days there may not be as much interest in kayak construction and repair. Perhaps due to the continuing improvement and diversity of boats from the manufacturers? If people have an interest, I could answer questions, and more importantly direct people to much more expert builders in the community.  

2011_NSPN_Kayak_Build_Workshop_Guillemot.thumb.jpg.33c276a2193d3b142b7189679122a474.jpg

My dad always wanted to build a ceder strip canoe.   I inherited a number of books and plans (including 1:1 scale plan for one version of  strongback).

I don't know what one I will build but it's in my long term plan to build my Dads canoe.  

Jason, definitely keep to the canoe project on your list. Cedar is a wonderful soft wood to work with - forgiving with a pleasant smell. You can really do a lot with it. Setting up the strong back and forms, prepping the strips, clamping strips, wood gluing, sanding -  all good general woodworking skills for a novice like me. I worked from a kit, but others rip the strips from scratch - which is kicking it up a notch. With some help, I did end up fashioning tailored bow and stern sections of the strong back and forms.

The epoxy/glass and varnish parts are less fun. I groused about chemical machinations in the basement worthy of Walter White! However, if thought through, can go quickly and efficiently. - Bob

7 hours ago, prudenceb said:

Awesome looking boat, Bob!  And a fashion- coordinated paddle, too!  I'm awed by it all!

pru

Pru, Thanks.

Mike was at the Easter Plunge yesterday so we now know everyone (well, at least all the NSPNers...) made it back. Looking forward to the report! - Bob