Conservation of Ram Island Machias Bay!

Daniel Carr

I am happy to report that the Maine Coast Heritage Trust has purchased Ram Island, Machias Bay!   Ram Island has been on the Maine Island Trail since 2000 and was being marketed for development.  A group of Maine Island Trail Association Members stepped up and asked the Maine Coast Heritage Trust to pursue purchase of this wild place that is an important link in the Maine Island Trail.  This group pledged over $44,000 dollars as evidence of their support for conserving the island, contingent on maintaining public access via the Maine Island Trail.  

Over the last two months, others including NSPN members have joined the campaign and have donated additional dollars.  I thank you all for contributing and I ask others that care about maintaining the Maine Island Trail to consider donating additional funds.  Every donation large or small is a vote of confidence toward keeping this island accessible to paddlers.  I hope you find this as a fall campaign that you can really get behind :).   Lets keep this view possible!

Thanks

Dan Carr

Maine Island Trail Association Trustee and Chair of the Trail Committee

IMGP1283.JPG