My lucky dry suit day!

glad

I recently sent my 15 year old dry suit back to Kokatat for what I hoped would be some repairs to hold me until I could figure out which dry suit to buy. I was told this evening that they found (or caused?) a delamination during the leak testing.

What a bonanza! I am on cloud nine. (You have to take joy wherever you can find it...)

Meanwhile, I have read a few good reviews on the new two piece Idol design. I would like to try this suit on. Suz, you mentioned someone in the club had one. Could you please let me know who?

I have found it pretty scary in the instance of using an actual toilet to do my business with the drop down. So I might consider the front relief zipper if I don't go with the two piece.

Would folks please address some of these concerns?

Your opinions, experience, jokes included are much appreciated.

Karen

As for the Idol suit, I haven't seen it in person, but it looks like the best two-piece solution on the market. It's definitely innovative. It doesn't seem like any more of a hassle to don and doff than a shoulder-zip suit and may require much less awkward zipper tugging. It seems to have some nice advantages and minimal disadvantages. Here are a few things to consider:

• The knob makes a pretty large lump that could potentially cause discomfort, depending on one's body shape.
  • Is the suit still waterproof and will it stay zipped if the cover or knob are lost or damaged? Although that's probably unlikely, stranger things have happened on paddling trips...
  • The extra thickness around the hips might require some adjustment to any hip padding in the boat. If the cheek plates on the seat are a close fit, this could create an issue.
  • The video says you can wear the top separately, but it doesn't say that the bottoms can be. It would be worth clarifying that, if it's a concern for you.
  • Some people like to use the shoulder zip on a traditional dry suit to ventilate when off the water (at lunch breaks, etc.). While you can take the top off of the Idol, will the pants stay up?

Perhaps Lorrie or Suz can shed some light on this.

All good questions from Brian:

• The knob makes a pretty large lump that could potentially cause discomfort, depending on one's body shape.
    That could be the case, especially with LARGE bellies that protrude greater than the hip. Most people find that it falls below the skirt but above your lap. Most people find that they prefer that over the stiffness of the chest zipper in a front opening drysuit.
  • Is the suit still waterproof and will it stay zipped if the cover or knob are lost or damaged? Although that's probably unlikely, stranger things have happened on paddling trips...
    The zipper cover is integral to maintaining a dry zipper. Without the cover, the zipper start and end would be uncovered and not waterproof. This is true even if there but you FORGET to tighten the cover. Any drysuit is only dry if the zipper is closed. A broken tooth or zipper open a hair will let in a lot of water.
  • The extra thickness around the hips might require some adjustment to any hip padding in the boat. If the cheek plates on the seat are a close fit, this could create an issue.
    There is no extra thickness around the hips where the zipper is. It sits above the hip but below the belly button area.
  • The video says you can wear the top separately, but it doesn't say that the bottoms can be. It would be worth clarifying that, if it's a concern for you.
    The top is recommended to be worn separately. When the two pieces are separated, the zipper cover remains attached to the pant zipper. It should be screwed onto the post to cover and protect the post and protect your material from the post. The bottom half of the zipper is uncovered on the pant. The bottom is OK to be worn around camp but isn't meant to be a pant for on the water. The bottoms stay up as their is a neo waistband with a draw cord above where the zipper is.
  • Some people like to use the shoulder zip on a traditional dry suit to ventilate when off the water (at lunch breaks, etc.). While you can take the top off of the Idol, will the pants stay up?
    With the top off, the pants stay up due to the neo waistband with the draw cord.

Also, for 2016, Kokatat has come out with a great anorak with a dump neck that can attach to the IDOL pants. Also for 2016 is a Radius suit which is geared to sea kayakers as there is a detachable hood and pockets on both arms and one of the thighs. For 2016, there will be three suits with the switch zip technology and an anorak that can be bought separately and mated with any of the same size pants from a switch zip suit. Radius - "expedition" suit, Icon, Surge (which replaces the lightweight paddling suit). The 2016 suits can be ordered now but not delivered until mid Jan.

No. The Passage Anorak - dump neck with hood and switch zip has been requested by paddlers. It isn't something I would choose to wear but is a garment combination that many paddlers have chosen to wear - whirlpool bib with a anorak.

Dump neck is like this: http://kokatat.com/products/jackets/gore-texr-paddling-jacket-men.html It is a velcro closure that has a reverse pleat to open wide - no neoprene or latex gasket. It is named dump neck as it dumps heat quickly.

The Passage Anorak will replace this jacket which paddlers have been mating to a bib or wearing with the tempest pant for years:

http://kokatat.com/products/jackets/gore-texr-tectour-anorak-men.html

I wrote a longer response but my cat walked across the keyboard and deleted! Off to the cold water clinic!

Suz

Edited by Suz