Murder: That’s why I paddle solo

leong

Being from just a hour away from the scene of the crime and being local to where they lived, we have been hearing a lot about this in the news. Some local kayakers have made bold statements and claims about the type of kayaks and how this happened, some even claimed the kayaks they were in were white water boats, from the pictures supplied by local newspapers they appear to be pelican brand kayaks both s.o.t. Personally I'm so tried of this story, it's a lot of people again making bold claims that really just don't make sense. Apparently a person has come forward saying she saw them from her home on the Hudson via a telescope. She was shocked to see kayakers on the river in those conditions with minimal clothing. I don't doubt that she's guilty but I want the papers to stop writing things and taking statements that don't make sense and claiming that both were skilled kayakers. In the photo at the top of the article you can clearly see she is in a kayak with no pfd and the paddle upside down, not something a seasoned kayaker would do. Just saying.

In the photo at the top of the article you can clearly see she is in a kayak with no pfd and the paddle upside down, not something a seasoned kayaker would do. Just saying.

Yes, unskilled paddlers seem to hold their paddles upside down more often than not. I posted something about it here. And the 4 out of 5 upside down paddle sightings seems to persist.

-Leon

Leon,

I just can't tell you how often I see it on the Hudson and it terrifies me. Being a local I always suggest people take a class with Marshall at the river connection. They don't call it the mighty Hudson for nothing. As a young guy with young friends who want to paddle with my wife and I my rule is no pfd find someone else to paddle with. Sorry but I just take safety serious in any water especially the Hudson.