Rolls and Rolls

leong

All though my Eskimo roll is pretty dependable now I can’s say the same for my “roll tack”. I am never able to tack like all those damn kids who effortlessly perform controlled, graceful, smooth roll tacks that turn the boat efficiently and propel it speedily on to the new tack. When I do it I either slide backwards into the water or sometimes waft around so it only slows down my tack. Here’s how I sometimes end up. Here's how experts tack in heavy winds.

-Leon

PS

I placed anti-turtle floats on each spar to prevent a 180 degree capsize like in the video.

Does a Sunfish respond to roll-tacking the way a Laser does? Maybe it's not your fault! My Coquina, a 17ft cat-ketch, prefers to be sailed serenely through a tack, with just a touch of backed main to help her around. But she's so pretty I forgive her that quirk.

The time and hassle involved in launching and rigging a sailboat is part of why I spend so much of my time in a kayak. The speed and ease of rigging my Coquina is part of why I chose that design as a building project.

From the videos you posted, Leon, it seems the advantage of roll tacking is to keep the ends out of the water so the boat spins quicker. Only then do you move your weight to weather, just in time to prevent capsizing. Plus popping the boat upright fills the sail instantly without luffing. Looks like it pays to be <30years old.

I spent Saturday helping teach an Advanced Strokes class at Crystal River. It felt just like Chebacco Lake with Manatees!

You guys are making me miss my Hobie 16, I don't miss trailering it and raising the mast, but sailing it was a blast.

Me too, the hassle of going sailing is exactly why I became a sea kayaker (posted here).

I only sail half of each year while in Florida. It's easy in FLA because my Sunfish sits on a Jetdock floating dock in a canal, but the canal is much too narrow to sail in. So even on my sailing days, I get a paddling workout moving the Sunfish to and from the bay (I raise and lower the sails while in the bay). I originally wanted to buy a Laser until I realized that it would be impossible to rig the mast and attach the sail while out in the deep water of the bay.

However, I occasionally sail a friend’s Laser when we exchange boats at a nearby Island. BTW, contrary to what’s written on the subject, I think the Sunfish is slightly faster than the Laser on a broad reach or downwind. But it can’t point as high as the Laser can point.

-Leon

post-100270-0-98317200-1426562997_thumb.

post-100270-0-27896300-1426563289_thumb.

Edited by leong

Small Boat Journal did a great write up on the Sunfish years ago. It pointed out all the things that were technically wrong with the design of the boat, the hull, sail rig, etc... and showed that improving all those little things would not do much to improve the boats performance. It reminded me of an article in sea kayaker where Chris Cunningham built a kayak "by eye", 17ft long, 22 inches wide, divide the boat into thirds and put the cockpit at the back of the middle third, etc.... It was a really nice kayak and and compared to one designed in CAD with computer drag analysis, etc... it was still a damn good performing kayak.

Sometimes simple and smaller is better, owning a small boat usually means more time on the water.