Replacement back band?

jason

I am looking to replace the back band that is currently in my Nigel Foster shadow. The current back band is made out of hard plastic with some padding in the center. The stock back band cuts my back. Luckily, the sharks haven't started following me yet. I love the boat but I hate the back band.

I am looking for suggestions for a good new one or am I better building one off the bulkhead out of mini cell?

Thanks -Jason

Mini Cell is the way to go. Very easy to do, and you can carry a small "Surform" tool with you and fine tune the fit to your back on subesquent paddles.

I've replaced all my british backbands with Bomber Pro and been very happy: dense foam, good support, takes a beating:

http://www.bombergear.com/5110.html

Feedback on Paddle.net has some criticisms, primarily that the buckles slip. I've never had the problem. However, they have corroded in the salt water (despite regular rinsing) and I can't move them now. (No problem for me).

I've heard good things about Immersion Research.

Scott

I added a NRS backband from NE Small Craft to my Slipstream.

It has ratchets on either side for adjustment and I

was able to use the seat bolts to attach it. It provided

stiff lower-back support and did not interfere with sculling or rolling. Now that I'm selling the Slipstream it will end up in another kayak.

See Alex at NE Small Craft for info on what she has in stock.

Cheers,

Bob

I have replaced both of my back bands with the NRS 5" whitewater backband. It's rachet adjustable in the back and has a separate lumbar support that is adjustable also. The back band provides incredibly good support but is small enough not to interfere with rolling or laying back.

Bomber Gear, Immersion Research and NSI are three of the more popular brands, but there are lots of good after market back bands. I suggest that you stick with the smaller, whitewater-style back bands, like the I.R. "Reggie" and mount it low so it supports your hips and pelvis, not your lower back. I'm not a fan of ratchets, as they tend to rust/corrode and I've never found a need to adjust a back band once I get it set the way I like it. Some backbands have both ratchet straps and web straps, so you can just ignore the ratchets or remove them. B.G. will custom make you a Reggie without the ratchets if you request it.

Due to Impex using Immersion Research's backband, they now have all stainless hardware available. Unlike Brian, I really like the rachet. When I change my shoes and therefore the thickness of the soles, or I am going for a long, relaxed paddle instead of a shorter, paddle through conditions, sometimes I like to make subtle changes in the position of the backband. It is really easy to adjust while sitting in the seat.

Of course, in the end, I plan to move the bulkhead closer and try using foam for simplicity.

-Dee

Ever since we were in Boston Harbour this past fall I have been using a paddle float as a back band. This was originally just a replacement strategy but I see little reason to return to a backband. It is very comfortable and can be adjusted without tools. Something to consider in lieu of a painful trip while you are working out the details on whatever course you choose.

Based on all of this great input I have decided to do the following.

I am going to attempt to paddle Friday with just a paddle float as a back band.

At the same time I am going to order the Immersion Research reggie backband. If I don't like it for my Shadow I can always put it in my new (to me) WW boat.

If the paddle float and reggie backbands don't work out I will attempt to create a back band out of closed cell.

I like the closed cell idea in that it will add flotation and reduce the volume of the cockpit.

The issue is that I am not very good at carving the foam. I hate to say hour many hours I have spent to make closed cell foot rests and they are 10% as complicated as the back band. Along with these excellent suggestions on the message board I also received an e-mail from Richard Najarian he made a closed cell back band and covered it with "PlastiDip" the back band looks like Roles Royce of back band replacements.

If Brian hosts his kayak modification session again next year, I think that I will attempt the closed cell back band there where people that are good at foam work can guide me.

Thanks again for all of the excellent advice -Jason

The Germans may own ROLLS ROYCE nowadays, Jason; but I'd be pleased if you'd spell the name right, at very least...it has, if nothing else, been a symbol of all that's best about Britannia for a . Their engineering really is top-drawer, don't you know? Witness the illustrious Merlin V-12, mechanically-supercharged aero-engine, which itself derived from the Eagle of 1918, all the way up to the latest turbine engines for the aircraft industry. In addition, the percentage of vintage Rolls Royce vehicles still on the roads is apparently very high -- indeed, I first learned to drive on one, built c.1920! (No, I was not born thereabouts! It was already a very old motorcar...)

What has this to do with kayaking, you ask? Hmmm, let me think...well (this will be tenuous), various coachbuilders did put "boat-tail" bodywork on Rolls Royce motorcars -- is that good enough? Then again, my learned friend Kates refer to "the Rolls Royce of replacement backbands", did he not? It seems to me that by implication the name stands for "the very best"! Toot toot!

I would agree with Brian.

I found that keeping the backband loose to the point that I only use it to keep my back from hitting the rear coaming is the best use for it.

I found that ajusting the support under my legs, padding in front of my seat, eliminated the back pain and allows me to sit straighter and more comfortably in the seat. The proper padding in front of my seat, also made the seat more comfortable.

I would suggest putting some padding in front of your seat so that your legs are properly supported before making any changes.

Walter

Impex Assateague

Emerald Green/White