Early Notice - Boston Harbor Islands - Level 3 - Saturday or Sunday

alcoons

Early Notice - Expect to post a level 3 trip launching from Winthrop near Deer Island to the Harbor Islands for either Saturday or Sunday July 5th or 6th. Level 3. CAM. Distance 12 miles. Tides are right (low at 12:30 or 1:15 PM). Boston Light is always a fun goal, but landing, while usually permitted, can be denied due to previously scheduled large groups arriving on large boats.

Day and route will be determined after the weather report stabilizes later in the week.

Al

Cetus

Red over White/Mostly over.

Marine report looked good for Sunday for Boston Harbor when I looked at it yesterday (Wednesday). However, predicted wave height has increased as of 6:30 AM today (Thursday):

SAT NW WINDS AROUND 10 KT. WAVES AROUND 2 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.

SUN W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES AROUND 2 FT.

Since 2 feet is the limit of level 3 Boston Harbor does not seem to be an appropriate paddle. Of course the report may change depending on the track of Arthur. Will continue to watch the forecast. Other ideas?

Yeah, it's kind of a crap shoot with this storm.

FWIW, I can't make it in any case because of family obligations.

I have two "dream" harbor trips - one is Nantasket Beach to the Brewster Islands. The other is taking the old route that sailing vessels took coming into Boston - which was between Hull and the light house, then winding its way to the NW.

There's a great life-saving museum in Hull which gives you some ideas of the dangers that vessels coming into the Harbor faced. Worth a visit.

SAT NW WINDS AROUND 10 KT. WAVES AROUND 2 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.

SUN W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES AROUND 2 FT.

Since 2 feet is the limit of level 3

To hijack a thread. Does the NSPN trip level limit for waves/chop include swell? I would think not, but maybe open to interpretation. Seems with winds not greater than 10Kts any significant waves would be from swell and not troublesome steep, short period waves. Isn't 10Kts the world of modest,scattered whitecaps?

Ed Lawson

Ed,

You make a great point. I think we often deal with two foot swells on some of our paddles (for example, from Gloucester to Manchester and back - usually on the way back) and don't think much of it. Of course the problem is having enough knowledge and experience to know what it will be like out there this weekend.

Al

PS. I don't think you hijacked this thread at all. I think you asked an important question about this proposed trip.

I think that adding swells as a separate entity to the trip levels would be a difficult task since swells have to important components: the height and the period. A two foot swell at six seconds will just make you slowly bob up and down, posing no real challenges all around. However, if you have two foot swells at sixteen seconds, while there is still no boat handling issues presented, the real issue is anyplace those swells could feel the bottom, such as while launching and landing, passing shoals, or any other place where those long-period swells would feel the bottom and rear their ugly heads.

So, my conclusion would be that, unlike waves and chop, swells don't really require any boat handling skills, but instead require trip planning knowledge. Therefore, we do not need to include swells in the trip level limit indicators. A trip planner just needs to be able to recognize if the swell heights combined with the periods will create a challenge for the trip, and should include any concerns in the communications during the group planning phase.

By the way, this graph raised my eyebrows a little.

8 foot on Saturday.....and I was going to suggest some rescue practice close to shore in 2 foot conditions for tomorrow. I guess not !...?

Why do you believe you won't be able to?

Ed Lawson

Andy, PM me and let's see if we can put something together for tomorrow. We will let Al keep this thread for his trip, if it should come to fruition.

Major changes in Boston Harbor Marine Forecast. I will post the Sunday Boston Harbor Trip discussed above in a new tread.

BOSTON HARBOR-

431 PM EDT FRI JUL 4 2014

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT SATURDAY AFTERNOON

SAT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. WAVES 2 TO
3 FT.

SUN
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

SUN NIGHT
SW WINDS AROUND 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

There are plenty of more Sheltered routes in Boston Harbor starting from points that allow you to move from sheltered to more open waters so you can adjust depending on skill and conditions .

The Malibu beach launch, the Houghs neck public ramp launch, Hingham harbor. City Point near pleasure bay.

I would like to get on the water Sunday!

Pablo