July 4th : Boston fireworks by Kayak

PeterB

The best way to see the Boston Fireworks is by kayak on the Charles River. we can get right up to the edge of the boaters perimeter for unquestionably the best seat in the house.

Meet and Launch from Magazine Beach in Cambridge, ( time TBD) paddle down the Charles to the Esplanade,watch the fireworks and paddle back when fireworks are over.

Boat traffic is no big worry: the event is well policed and boater conduct enforced: Parking and unloading boats will need to be planned well in advance. setails TBD

Please RSVP in the calendar posting

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

According to the road closure information, parking and boat launch from magazine beach will not be allowed after 7am on July 4th. Is there any good suggestions on launching place/time and logistics if my friends and I want to watch firework on charles river?

Will inflatable rafts be easier to use as you can carry it from parking lot to the launch place using a handcart??

Parking is the challenge. A few years ago we parked at the Trader Joe's parking lot on Memorial Drive across the street from the Charles with no problems, but there were a few signs that made it appear that that was technically not allowed . The best strategy is to arrive well in advance , unload boats, one person mind the boats while you find a parking space on the blocks in the Magazine Street area (Cambridgeport) of Cambridge.

Thank you, Peter.

According to the link above:

After 7am on July 4th, "No Parking at Magazine Beach and Pool, Riverside Boat Club and the MWRA pump station (Cottage Farm). No boat launching in this area."

Is this a new rule this year?

Robin,

No, Magazine Beach has a not-large parking lot, which would definititely be a no parking zone on every 4th of July .

The Trader Joe's Parking lot is a ways up River. (maybe 1/2 a mile), and there is a place to put in boats there too. The Trader Joe's lot across the street is sort of a gray area as far as I can see. Its a commercial parking lot so it may be the businesses there that set their parking policy, not sure. In any event I don't think I'll risk it this year.

Cambridge streets have resident permit parking but permits are not needed on Sundays and Holidays, I've been told, so you can park on Cambridge city streets.

The point is that you have to wrap your head around taking a chunk of time to get your car squared away. we plan to arrive well in advance so that I have the time to park the car once boats are unloaded at Magazine Beach . That means finding a spot in Cambridge port, I cant say how much or little time that'll take, I think I will give myself an hour, so in the worst case I could park all the way up near Central Square and walk back to Magazine beach, which would take about 20 minutes to half an hour.

Hi Peter, thank you for all the details!

I launched from magazine beach few times before and have some knowledge about that area.

My concern was the last sentence in the quote above "no boat launch in this area". I am afraid that there will be a policeman staying here and not allowing us to unload our boats and launch from there (sorry, my naive imagination!)

I think the easiest way might be going with you guys as a group. But my friends and I will take inflatable kayaks and they move much slower than sea kayaks. And I don't want to slow you down. Hopefully I will see you on the river!!

Edited by Robin-HG

Robin.

That is a good point. If the lot is closed all the way out to Memorial Drive, stopping and unloading boats would be a problem. I will look into unloading by Trader Joe's like a few years ago. I know that can be done, Im pretty sure I remember kayaks and canoes filtering onto the river from Magazine Beach, so the restrictions you cited are mainly targeted at power boaters and larger craft, but to be safe, no harm done launching from Trader Joes: unloading at e river , then looking for parking on the Cambridge streets behind Trader Joe's.

Friday Boston Fireworks have been moved to tomorrow night - Thursday!!!

Storrow closes at 12 and mass ave bridge closes at 6pm.

Well...

Boston Fireworks were moved from Friday July 4th to tonight, ; July 3rd, due to weather conditions.

I could not make it this evening. Nobody had RSVP'd for this paddle anyway, but there was some word of various people viewing the fireworks on their own , by inflatable, kayak, canoe, whatever.

If any of you have set off this evening for the fireworks, Have a good time! Maybe we'll watch the fireworks by kayak next year.

Peter

Hi peter,

I did not make the firework watching neither. I have to work today so no time to set up this trip. Anyway, thank you for the inspiration! I got the idea of watching firework on Charles river from this post. It adds one more thing on my checklist.

Robin