Nikon 7x50 OceanPro Binoculars

Sue H.

Hey Folks,

I'm looking to buy binoculars and like this Nikon 7x50 OceanPro, (optional with or without a compass). I thought I remembered a message board binocular discussion from a year or two ago, but could not find it with a search.

Does anyone have experience with these binoculars or have recommendations for binoculars to be used as part of a navigation kit?

Thanks,

Sue Hriciga

Hi Sue,

I'm sure those are nice binoculars, but they are a bit on the big size for daytime use. Google "binocular exit pupil". You will only use the light gathering power of those big lenses at night when your eye is dark adapted, and then only if you are pretty young and your pupils open that wide. I like a waterproof binocular like 8x25 or 8x30 for daytime use in a canoe or kayak. They are easy to carry and provide as much light as your daytime pupil can take in. If you are on power boat and plan to be out at dusk or in the dark those big binoculars will be great.

Best,

Dan

In a similar vein to Dan's comments, I've found that a good monocular like the Brunton 6x30 is the best way to go for kayaking. It's small enough to be carried easily, can be used with one hand (it's fixed-focus) and has enough magnification to get the job done on the water, where you're rarely steady enough to take advantage of higher magnification.

Sadly, it appears that the Brunton is off the market, though you may be able to find one on Ebay. Celestron and Barska sell a similar monocular, though I can't vouch for the quality compared to the Brunton.

<...I like a waterproof binocular like 8x25 or 8x30 for daytime use in a canoe or kayak. They are easy to carry and provide as much light as your daytime pupil can take in...>

I do not like the idea of taking <any> binoculars on the water; but, if I <had> to, I dislike anything with as small an aperture as x25 or x30 -- I have always found that they draw your eyeballs out on stalks; but then I am used to x40 or x50! The other side of the coin is that a x40 is probably going to be expensive, if you want waterproof? I suggest you just go for a good name -- like Nikon? Bryan's monocular idea (idea about taking a monocular?) sounds good...

Edited by Pintail

Thanks Brian, Dan, Christopher and Peter for your feedback and experience. I will use this info to guide further research. So glad to be able to narrow the choices before opening my wallet! Cheers, Sue