Wing paddles?

Matt,

Do you happen to know of anyone that is interested in selling their used small mid wing Epic paddle like around 209 length? I know folks use them long distance paddling  (water tribe) without shoulder issues. 

Thanks

Karen

Also interested in your training sessions

5 hours ago, Karen Volkman said:

Matt,

Do you happen to know of anyone that is interested in selling their used small mid wing Epic paddle like around 209 length? I know folks use them long distance paddling  (water tribe) without shoulder issues. 

Thanks

Karen

Also interested in your training sessions

Hi, I have an Epic mid wing and believe the length is adjustable. I have hardly used it because it just seems small for me and I would like to upgrade to a larger wing. I actually find my larger Lendal Nordkap faster. PM FMI

7 hours ago, Karen Volkman said:

I recommend posting a WTB message in the classifieds section.  Used Epic small-mids seem to be difficult to come by right now, maybe because everyone loves them.

As far as wing paddles being better for your shoulders — it’s less about the shape of the paddle and more about the paddlers form.  Touring paddles aren’t necessarily worse for your shoulders.

I recommend watching Ivan Lawler’s excellent MasterClass video for more on this: 

Best,

Matt

2 hours ago, Paul Sylvester said:

Hi, I have an Epic mid wing and believe the length is adjustable. I have hardly used it because it just seems small for me and I would like to upgrade to a larger wing. I actually find my larger Lendal Nordkap faster. PM FMI

Correct the lengths are adjustable.  Epic offers two standard shaft length options: 205-215cm  and 210-220cm.  I have the 205-215cm version and I usually set it to approximately 210cm, give or take ~1cm — I’m 6’1”.  Proper length is paddler-specific and depends on several factors, which we cover in the session :) 

@Paul Sylvester the larger wing blade sizes are normally used by K1 sprinters.  The increase in force generated by a larger blade size is not linear and places a substantial amount of strain on one’s joints.  Not saying you shouldn’t get one but I’ve been pretty happy (and fast!) with the mid size for a decade at this point.

Matt

@mattdrayer I like to experiment with different type paddles as they use different muscles during a 300 mile challenge. The guy that did the fastest EC ever in class 1 no sail (72 hours) used a small mid wing and alternated with a high end fiber canoe paddle.  My goal would be to simply finish! I also have no idea how bow design of the Epic 18 handles in rough water like one encounters in FL shallow windy bays and would be curious for your thoughts

Oh man and here I am now realizing this thread is already about wing paddles and not the surfski sessions thread — haha juggling too many threads on too many  forums I guess.

Matt :) 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:25 PM, Karen Volkman said:

I also have no idea how bow design of the Epic 18 handles in rough water like one encounters in FL shallow windy bays and would be curious for your thoughts

I haven't paddled the Epic 18X, so I can't really comment on how it handles in any sort of conditions.  I do know that it is a Fast Sea Kayak design intended for touring/expedition use, among other things.  I know some NSPN members have/had one so you might search the forum archive for pertinent threads.

Best,

Matt