Drysuit zipper pulls

mhabich

I got an Icon rear-zip drysuit from Kokatat as a warranty replacement. The ribbon zipper pull loop had been cut so it wasn’t a loop. This made it darn near impossible to zip behind my head, so I called to ask for a new pull. They said they cut the loops so we won’t be entangled in debris, and that the pulls come to them as part of the zipper, so they couldn’t send a replacement. 

9 minutes ago, mhabich said:

I happen to know someone who sews. Will try a bar tack to close the loop. Otherwise, replace the ribbon or something. 

Yes, you do! Forgot about that.

For what it's worth, I've had to replace a couple of zipper pulls where the hole in the zipper pull was still intact.

Found these work pretty well.   Amazon.com: Zipper Solution - Jumbo (2 Ea) The Ultimate Fixer for Your Zipper

If you thought something like these could work, a Google search turned up an infinite number of alternatives. 

Amazon.com: AXEN 60PCS Zipper Pulls, Premium Zipper Pull Replacement Zipper Tab Tags Cord Extension Fixer for Luggage, Backpacks, Jackets, Purses, Handbags (Black)

Here's my solution for my original Palm Torrent, rear-zip drysuit. Not sure how the configuration compares to Kokatat. The short black strap with integrated spring-closing clasp were flea-market finds years ago, and I believe were ski or snowboard "don't lose your ride" safety straps. Takes some practice to open/close, and the length of orange straps provides leverage, after extending and making taut the right/left elbows, respectively.

IMGP0064.thumb.JPG.4e50945dbce71519e79e7da5131921f2.JPG    IMGP0066.thumb.JPG.6e827926b945f024bd0e44e70472debc.JPG

13 hours ago, mhabich said:

I got an Icon rear-zip drysuit from Kokatat as a warranty replacement. The ribbon zipper pull loop had been cut so it wasn’t a loop. This made it darn near impossible to zip behind my head, so I called to ask for a new pull. They said they cut the loops so we won’t be entangled in debris, and that the pulls come to them as part of the zipper, so they couldn’t send a replacement. 

@mhabichI love my Icon shoulder-zip drysuits.  I initially could not put it on and take it off by myself, until I learned the trick.

This YouTube video does a good job of showing the technique.  I do NOT find it necessary to use my teeth, but I do use the rest of the technique shown.  Most importantly using the other hand to create tension.