First ocean kayak. Opinions requested

DavidS

I’m new to ocean kayaking and planning to purchase my first sea kayak.

Came across a McNulty Huntsman Sea Kayak,16 ft.

Anyone have any experience with this boat?

I also did a quick search and found that the boat has what is called an “ocean cockpit”, which sounds like a good thing for paddling on the ocean, but understand that it is a small opening that many people find makes it difficult to get in and out of the boat.  The hatch openings also look really small (in pics that I found), which make storing gear difficult. Finally, I also found images that show a built-in pump behind the seat, which is technology that has not been used in decades as portable pumps became viable and the space can be used for additional storage.

All in all, I would highly recommend against this as a first boat, but more importantly, don’t buy anything without the chance to paddle it first to see if you like it on the water. 

The main questions to answer when it comes to getting into ocean kayaking are 1) What is your overall goal, 2) What is your budget, 3) How much time will you realistically will be spending in your boat, and 4) What time(s) of year you will likely be on/in the water.  

Matt

A few random comments from the peanut gallery.

If you are new to sea kayaking, then it is likely it will take a year or two paddling various boats in various ways, in various sea states, on various journeys before you develop a sense of what you like and do not like in a kayak.  It is not uncommon for paddlers to pursue different types of paddling over the years which in turn might mean a different type of kayak. 

So consider getting a well used (a kayak can be very solid and sound even it it looks old and beat up) inexpensive kayak that is a recognized all around boat (the NDK Romany is one such boat) so it will serve you well for exploring different aspects of the sport and for learning skills. Then go out and paddle it as much as you can.  It might be the only boat you will want, but you may find something else resonates eventually. 

Most people seldom go on camping trips of more than a few days so consider whether a @18 foot expedition boat makes sense to drag around or if a @16 foot will suffice.

A boat should fit without great deal of foaming out and trim/work without needing ballast.  Of course what constitutes fitting is something that may change over time too.

Ed Lawson