Solstice Paddle - Saturday, June 18th

rfolster

We are looking to hold our annual Solstice Paddle on Saturday, June 18th (Sunday is Father's Day!), but we have a dilemma.  This trip has historically been held out of Riverhead Beach with a Post Paddle Potluck Pig-out at the pavilion across the street at Devereaux Beach.  However, Marblehead has instituted a non-resident parking fee of $20, which is a potential deterrent.

One suggestion has been to use Peirce Island at $10 per launch, and have the Potluck on Four Trees Island.  It is just a little bit of a walk out to Four Trees from the parking lot (600-700 feet), and tides will need to be considered.  Any other thoughts of where we could launch 20-30 kayaks and hold a potluck afterwards?

Well we're going to be posting trips out of Riverhead this summer despite the fee, so don't know why we can't do it for Solstice Paddle.  I know, it's not chump change.  If we have an early start - parking before 7 am - you don't get charged…as I discovered last summer ?.

Prudence

I could come to either location. No way I could get there for a 7am start though! What level is this paddle? I haven't done much kayaking in the last few years, so will need a refresh. 

3 hours ago, Linda Rhodes said:

I could come to either location. No way I could get there for a 7am start though! What level is this paddle? I haven't done much kayaking in the last few years, so will need a refresh. 

Just kidding about 7 am!  Not to worry.  There aren't many of us who would ever agree to do that!  (I just happen to be one of 'em!)

Linda, we always run multiple pods of varying trip levels so everyone can find their comfort level. Further details will be announced once we decide where we are holding it. 

Allyn Cox Reservation (ecga.org) (would need to launch/land near high tide)

Switch to a mid-day potluck on one of the inner Boston Harbor islands (George's would be an obvious choice, or something really easy from Hingham for an L1/L2 paddle), and various pods could launch and return from Hingham Harbor, Hull, South Boston, Winthrop, to offer a variety of trip lengths, or focus on other paddling activities (rock gardening, nav practice, geology).

Edited by Dan Foster

I like Dan's suggestion of having the lunch potluck on an island (the adventurous paddlers coming from the North could launch from Winthrop...) 

Or is it important that the potluck be post paddle, on the mainland? I see advantages to both approaches. 

I doubt I’ll be able to make this so feel free to ignore, BUT isn’t the point of the potluck to have everyone together? How is that accomplished if each pod does their own thing or the potluck is at a place beyond the skill level of some participants? Or did I misunderstand the suggestion? 

9 minutes ago, carpy said:

Or did I misunderstand the suggestion? 

The suggestion is to find a location where all pods could meet for lunch.  I wonder if this will be a challenge in reality as it might challenge a Level 1 group if there are any conditions to speak of, and might constrain a Level 4 group on how far they can go.  However, these are only my conjectures, and would need to look into options further.

If the club decides on a Portland, Boston, or Hingham Harbor option for June 2023 and announce plans prior to Feb 2023, I'll lead a camping trip to coincide with the day trip and potluck gathering. I held the June 2022 weekend open, but eventually made other plans.

Edited by Dan Foster

I talked with Parks and Recreation at Marblehead and if we make an application the board would consider it at their June 14th meeting and possibly give us a group rate or waive the fee. I guess that's cutting it close but I think it's worth the effort. 

There's a form to fill out, I have a link. And it would make more sense coming from you, Joe. Let's see what others think about using Riverhead if it's discounted or free.