ICOM M92-D radio autopsy

mhabich

I had an ICOM M92-D vhf radio for the last few years.  This was the model with DSC.  I wear it on the outside of my life jacket, and we get wet.  For a while it didn't seem to transmit or receive, but I wasn't sure.  All the buttons and screen worked as they should.  I walked into Hamilton Marine and tried it next to the new M93 on display.  The new one gave a clear weather report, while mine mumbled and burped a bit.  I bought the M93.

I posted the M92 here, and Ed asked to have a look at it.  He opened it up and found IMG_1159.JPG

Salt water had gotten in, and corroded the speaker (seen here) and salt crystals were evident throughout.  Ed pointed out that this radio is designed so that the removable battery seals to the case, but the case isn't watertight without the battery, not a secure arrangement.  I looked at the M93 and saw

IMG_3208.jpeg

The case is sealed without the battery, and there's a separate seal just for the battery-to-radio contacts, and a latch to secure the battery.  Much more robust.

Learned:

--Do radio checks.  A radio that looks like it's working may be useless.

--Keep your radio in a sealed case if that doesn't impair access reasonable for the day

--Flush your radio with fresh water after use (but would that have helped in this case?)

--Don't get a radio that isn't sealed if the battery is removed

--Perhaps consider an extended warranty like that from West Marine (many here have reported benefiting)