Paddling helmet recommendations?

Helmets  are a personal thing since head shapes vary so much. ; you need to try on before you buy.  This is not  an item to be bought online, at least  not without  a good return policy .You might discover that a helmet feels  uncomfortable after wearing for a full day or longer as ill- fitting ares or pressure  points become apparent.  
Popular high quality  (more pricey)  brands are Gath and Sweet Protection. Newbury Kayak and Canoe has Gath, and Zoar Outdoor (western Mass. )  has Sweet Protection, at least the last I checked. . Otherwise, NRS and Pro Tec Helmets are popular and  a bit less pricey . I found the Sweet Protection helmets very comfortable, with a very good but  simple padded interior, fewer straps, bands etc to create pressure points.    

Edited by PeterB

NRS Havoc Livery helmet is made for rental use, so it’s adjustable to fit most heads. It’s cheap enough and adequate for light to medium use. NRS, Gath, WRSI, and Sweet make better and more expensive helmets, but you have to find which one fits your head shape. 

Fully affirm all Peter has said.   Fit and comfort are critical.  We can be wearing the helmet for upwards of 4 or more hours at a time.  

After trying numerous brands, I landed on the Sweet Protection Strutter model.  Lots of adjustability and very important to me, it has a baseball cap like visor molded in for an increased level of sun protection.  Admittedly, its not the cheapest. 

My favorite is the WRSI Trident, originally recommended by Nate Hanson. It is extremely comfortable and solid and I have tested it (not by design) in a very ugly scenario off the water involving a fall on ice,  in which it probably saved my life. Not cheap. But neither is your brain.

You are welcome to try it on when I see you Saturday. 

joe 

As a wide-headed person, I haven't found the WRSI trident or the Sweet Strutter comfortable, sadly. 

I have a Sweet Wanderer which is exceptionally comfortable but has no brim, and a Shred-Ready T-Dub which as a brim but isn't quite as perfect a fit. You are welcome to try both tomorrow as well. 

I so appreciate all of your recommendations and I definitely will try some helmets on to see what feels best!  Meanwhile I found an old Pro Tec helmet in our basement that my son had from ww paddling years ago. Cleaned and pads reglued, I'll bring and wear it tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting those of you who will be there tomorrow and maybe hearing Joe's tale of how his helmet saved his life. 

• 2 weeks later...

What you could do is show up at a few group paddles and politely ask to try on everyone's helmet.  Then go buy whichever one fits the best.

• 1 month later...

Head shapes (in general) are either round or oval. Some helmets are good for round head, some for oval. If you find that your helmet feels tight against your forehead, you may have an oval head and a round helmet. If you helmet is tight against the sides, you may have a round head and an oval helmet. It's really hard to tell what fits unless you wear it for hours. I had a helmet that I thought was great until I leaned over and raised my head, only to have the back of my PFD push the helmet over my eyes. I could not adjust it to fit right. Now I have a WRSI Current Pro and I can wear it all day and do not notice I have it on. WRSI has two models  - Trident (more oval shaped) and Current (more round). It took me years to find a helmet that fits properly.  I took a chance when I ordered it and am glad I did. I have a small head, too, and that made matters a little more difficult.) Good luck.