Urgent: How fast could an elite kayaker paddle a mile? 3 miles?

Hello,

I know I paddle 2-2.5 miles per hour, but how fast could an elite kayaker paddle one mile in near-flatwater conditions? I need this info today, if possible.

The Crossfit Games is the Olympics of that "sport" of fitness. Only 30 women in the whole world make it to the Games, and one of them is from Maine. This year the first event is ... you guessed it, a 3 mile kayak (and a one-mile swim). Her coaches reached out to me for this information: How long should it take a Very Fit person to kayak 1 mile? 3 miles? It will help her in her quest to win this worldwide competition.

Thank you so much! I know this is odd :)

The expected time for a very fit person is going to vary hugely according to technique and to the vessel used. The Olympic kayakers use specialized racing boats that are super skinny and tippy. Regardless of the vessel and the level of fitness of the paddler, technique will also play a huge role since making a boat go fast is about much more than strength. 

A very talented and fit person with little kayak experience and some intense forward stroke coaching and the right boat (maybe early intermediate surfski) may be able to do go around 5.6 (land)mph over three miles, maybe 5.8-6 mph over 1 mile, my guess. Give or take 0.2 mph. 

For anyone that wants to be able to paddle their sea kayak 12-18 miles per day and not feel like the walking dead after--- study this video. Specifically leg push, torso rotation, upper hand not dropping when it goes across the stroke movement and most important, watch the elbows. They are semi rigid and bend and flex very little through the movements. This makes rotation much easier and natural. These things combined with a good vertical stroke and right length paddle will take you places...

Speed = distance

Great video!

Edited by Paul Sylvester
additional,

>> Only 30 women in the whole world make it to the Games, and one of them is from Maine. 

Thats awesome! what is her name and how did she do ? 

The crossfit games are kind of clever in that that first event is always a modality they are not familiar with and its always interesting (and sometimes comical) how it challenges athletes who are otherwise at the top of their game.