May 24 - Risk management with Ty Gagne

JanetL

In addition to exploring the sea, I love to climb the high peaks of NH.  If you haven't read Ty's books on two tragedies in the Whites, I highly recommend them.  The Books are "The Last Traverse" and "Where you'll find me".  Whenever I have friends interested in Winter climbing the High Peaks with me, I tell them to read both of these books before they decide to come along.

Given his SAR background I thought Ty was rather charitable in his books, especially in "Where You Will Find Me".  At the same time, the normal dichotomy was presented of those who acted prudently and those who did not which is a little disingenuous.   Seems to me everyone does stupid stuff.  Amazingly, we nearly all get away with it.  Some learn from the experience and become prudent or at least become better able to deal with things the next time they do stupid stuff.  Some don't learn and either think it was because of skill or luck and that seldom ends well eventually.

Ed Lawson

Thanks to all in organizing this.   I found it particularly thought provoking.   The tragedy experienced by the story of these two hikers is a memorial to assessing risk and opportunity.  Ty handled the presentation with grace and respect.

If you missed it, Ty's website contains more useful info.   Ty Gagne, Author & Speaker (fullconditionsnh.com)

Falling into the sport more than 10 years ago, the adage... you don't' know what you don't know, became an ever present and admittedly growing realty.

I've found Sea Kayaking to be an extraordinary portal into a joy-filled yet highly challenging environment.

I am so thankful that early on I was introduced to a coaching system that has not only focused on enhancing the technique but also, and  importantly,  identifying and assessing the human factors that can serve us well or at times contribute to unnecessary risks.

That  was a great presentation;  very well prepared and delivered. : thanks for organizing this.
I especially valued the focus on the  role &  influence of group dynamics and personal issues   (" expert halo" etc) when risk management goes wrong. That is perhaps covered a bit  less in watersports, where theres so much to manage in the area of practical  skills and methods  ( assessing weather,  conditions,  gear, planning,  etc) 

Oh, I so wish that I could have attended this session -- I ended up helping my son with his math homework and that was the right choice, but still :)

Matt