PFD's in stock locally

josko

Who's got a good supply of 'our type' of PFD's locally? I need to get a leader/rescue one and a low volume one for fitness paddling and would like to try out as many as I can. CRCK didn't have much in stock. :( FWIW, I'm on Cape Cod. 

Failing that, what are folks' favorites for a group leader PFD  and for fitness paddling? 

Edited by josko

Josko,

I'm at a loss for recommendations for a well-stocked shop with a range of PFDs at this point.  

I've settled in on the Astral Blue Jacket that has served me well for leading and everyday paddling.  I particularly like the side entry and the numerous storage options.  I also like the fact that it does not feel overly bulky.   At 5'8 165 lbs with a drysuit and layers, the Adult Medium/Large size has worked well.   It's cousin, the Green Jacket is billed as a robust "river rescue pro vest."

For fitness paddling I've settled on the Kokatat Orbit Tour model.  Its a low volume pfd, with a small storage option and few friction points.   I have the Medium size. 

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how much paddling gear is out of stock nationwide! Who bought up all this stuff?

On a related topic, what do folks carry in their leader PFDs?

Edited by josko

I will ‘second’ David M’s thoughts on the Astral Blue Jacket. Used to be called the Sea Wolf. Many pockets. Love the big front fold down pocket. Very comfortable. I’m going on my 4th year wearing the Blue Jacket and it is in really good condition. I paddle around 80 to 100 times per/yr. and this PFD is well worth it for many reasons.

Josco, If we ever end up in the same hemisphere I have the Astral Blue Jacket in both M/L and L/XL to try on. 

PFD Contents (Astral Blue Jacket)

Exterior- Whistle,  VHF, Hydration Pack, Small White Light

Front Clamshell Pocket- Compass, Plastic Reflective Mirror, Knife, Suncreen,  Repair Patch Kit, Clotting Sponge, Aspirin tabs (6), CPR Shield, Disposable Gloves, Wax Pencil, WP Notebook

Side Pocket (left) - Electricians Tape, Flexible Plastic Sheet and  Two Adjustable Shockcords for deck hatch repair/replacement

Side Pocket (right) - Laser Flare, Mini Headlamp, Flashlight (All WP and each separately vacumn sealed)

Hydration Pack (rear)- Hydration bladder and small Single Shelter Bag