Car topping advice for the Malone suction roller

glad

I recently bought the Malone suction roller after admiring it in action by a few members.  I hoped that it would replace my tried and almost true "slide the kayak along my hood with a rug" technique that works pretty well.  

Could folks chime in with advice about: 

window placement: higher or lower?    

ideal angle of the boat to the roller when placing it to car top?

ideal angle or placement of stern on ground when taking down?

I've had a few mishaps with it but I know it has potential! I'm trying to avoid lift weight above my head.  

Thanks,

Karen

Edited by glad
grammar error

11 hours ago, glad said:

I recently bought the Malone suction roller after admiring it action by a few members.  I hoped that it would replace my tried and almost true "slide the kayak along my hood with a rug" technique that works pretty well.  

Could folks chime in with advice about: 

window placement: higher or lower?    

ideal angle of the boat to the roller when placing it to car top?

ideal angle or placement of stern on ground when taking down?

I've had a few mishaps with it but I know it has potential! I'm trying to avoid lift weight above my head.  

Thanks,

Karen

Karen,  As one who recommended a Malone device, not sure which one you got (there are actually two - one made to clear the "eyebrow” at top of hatchback window, the other older one too low to clear).  If it's the newer "clear the eyebrow" one, I place it directly below the overhang., at an angle that allows it to clear.  As for other questions, it is trial and error.  I've dropped boat off top of car as part of learning curve!  I would recommend you have someone spot you as you put boat on and off a few times.  In general, I've found NOT having boat pointing up in the air is best, so stern should be farther from back of car.  Lower angle.

Prudence