Looking for Munroe Island Maine insight

Dabend

I'm planning a fall camping trip and was wondering if anyone has any experience camping on Munroe Island (MCHT) off Owls Head. Just wondering if its proximity to the mainland results in a lot of traffic and competition for camping sites. Any insight is much appreciated. 

David

David:

It has been a few years since I visited Munroe, but it did not look used that much on the south side, and I had the island to myself in the middle of the season.  Recently, it has seemed to me that many MITA and MCHT islands are not used that much.  I have not had to share an island for around four years.

I believe Munroe is now a MCHT preserve so things may have changed.

YMMV

Ed Lawson

Edited by EEL

15 hours ago, gyork said:

As a "guest", I can't send you a PM.

Temporary access Is being provided to David while his membership is being reinstated (still having issues with PayPal), so feel free to PM if you wish. 

Edit - membership issue resolved!

I remember thinking Monroe was nice. I have only ever picnicked there though. I vaguely remember ticks, but also believe that ticks are down a bit this year.   From what I have seen so far, island camping is up this season, at least on some of the islands in Muscongus and Casco Bay. The coming of fall should  bring a decline in numbers however. Also arriving as early as possible during the day and  picking a weekday if you can might be beneficial. 

David:

Not sure what your goals are, but you might consider the run up from Port Clyde to High island which is a MCHT island and nice little place to visit.  Can be fun bit of coast to paddle along. Could visit Muscle Ridge from there or go on to Monroe for second night.  If you have never visited the MITA/MCHT islands north of Vinalhaven suggest they are definitely worth a visit.  Lots of places in Penobscot Bay.

Ed Lawson

Thanks Ed. I was just on High Island in July. Not to camp but did see the camping area. Nice place. I did do a run from Port Clyde (actually, started at Round Pond) up to N****le a few years back. N***le is tough for more than a Bivy. But I may try that for one night. I'd love to head up to Vinalhaven/Isleboro but my paddling partners aren't up for the drive or too much open water. 

My goal is to feel like I am far from the madding crowd. I know Monroe doesn't fit that description. But I have heard that if you're on the southern campsite, the view to the south, southeast is pretty nice and you feel like you're getting away from it all. I did Jonesport last year and lost all my paddling buddies because it was too far. So I am looking for a compromise this year. And as I mentioned to Joe, we've done all the best of Muscongus so we wanted to try something new. 

I think Monroe will be taking a risk but in the end, I'm on the water off the coast of Maine. Things could be worse. 

Just curious, have you ever camped on the MCHT island Pond east of Isleboro?

Thanks for your input.

David