Standard Horizon HX210 VHF

josko

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Josko, I have a story to tell about SH and and NRS PFD.

I have a SH HX870 and a NSR Cvest with a radio pocket. The pocket is too narrow for this radio (any radio really) so when I slid it in, the DSC flap on the side got snagged and opened up. Unaware of this, I began practicing rolls which somehow tripped the DSC button. I then start hearing the alarm going off that I have tripped the DSC and try to use my radio to contact the Coast Guard. In a perfect storm of malfunctions, water had gotten into the radio (a manufacturer's defect which got me a new radio) and my radio no longer functioned as a 2-way...I could only hear the alarm and see a read out to cancel it if I wanted to. But because it was wet, it wouldn't let me cancel it. A minute later, the radio was completely dead. 

Realizing that if the DSC actually worked, the CG would be on its way, I raced back into shore (about a 1000 yards), ran up to the house where I was staying, and called the CG directly. The good news is that the DSC worked and they were prepping a helicopter. The better news is that I was able to stop them before they sent it and avoided what would have been an incredibly embarrassing moment -- even though it wasn't my fault. 

As I said, SH replaced my radio free of charge. But I have always struggled to get my radio into the pocket of my Cvest without snagging the DSC flap and thereby exposing the button. Last week, finally gave in and bought a new CVest with a much wider radio pocket. 

And finally, to get back to the point of your post, my radio was off when I went out that day. But the radio has a Water Hazard feature which turns it on if a sensor gets wet. So I presume that by rolling, I triggered that sensor which turned the radio on, and then subsequent to that, I somehow pressed the DSC button by mistake through the pocket. Your radio is a different model than mine, but it it has the Water Hazard feature, and it's on, and you're rolling, that might explain it. Or not.

David