Massachusetts Boat Ramp Usage / Additional info on Marblehead's Riverhead ramp

Bill Whalen

Massachusetts:

Marblehead / Riverhead Ramp access:

RIVERHEAD BEACH BOAT RAMP ACCESS
Boats Launching from a trailer to a mooring ONLY!

By appointment, the Riverhead Beach Boat Ramp will open to launch boats from a trailer to a mooring ONLY.

• Boat and Trailer must be properly registered
  • The gate will be unlocked at the assigned time for the registered vehicle & trailer to enter Riverhead Beach.
  • The gate will be locked during launch and opened for the vehicle and trailer to exit
  • Boat Trailers can not be left at Riverhead Beach
  • Boating Guidelines During the Stay at Home Advisory Order

In reading the posting, my understanding is that, yes - Riverhead is currently closed to kayakers. I believe they are trying to limit beach traffic to Devereaux (other side of the causeway),  and that ramp access is collateral damage. I've heard the public ramp at Little Harbor (next to Marblehead Lobster Co.) is open to kayakers. 

Cheers!

Little Harbor ramp is open to paddlers but also to everyone else, and its tiny parking lot has become really choked up lately due to curbside pickup business at the fish store there, along with boat trailer people trying to avoid the Riverhead ramp bottleneck. Having more cars come will make it even worse and might risk triggering some kind of backlash resulting in the whole thing getting shut down to non residents. I walk by there pretty much every day and it’s quite a mess with cars idling in the middle of the lot, people parking directly on the ramp and blocking it, etc. Not recommended.