Favorite 3 season tent?

jmcotton

On 4/4/2020 at 11:06 PM, Michael_Crouse said:

Did I sell you my North Face VE-25 and did you use it during the summer?

Yes, you sold it to me, and we used it once during summer - pretty much cooked inside!!  Cathy has moved to using a hammock instead of being a "ground dweller", so I have been sticking with my Hilleburg Soulo single-person tent.  Still gets pretty warm in there, so looking at their mesh inner tent option for warmer summer days.  Need to get back into camping in general, though!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slow to read this but I feel your pain!  In Newfoundland, I solved my cold problem with adding my flat folding crazy creek chair UNDER the tent floor - so between that and the ground.  I found it was the ground that was sucking my heat out of me. I was using a great sleeping bag, a great blow up pad but still cold.  When I put my chair under the tent floor (it was wet from being in the boat) it provided me the extra insulation that I needed. It was something I always carry anyway so it was an easy fix.  

Here is the chair that I like:  https://www.crazycreek.com/hex-2-0-longback-chair/ (I bought the regular length, Werner had the longback and the long back was more comfie to sit in.). It is a quick dry material and I could sit on it really quickly after having it get wet in the boat.  

I'm late to the party here but if you are still cold and thinking about a warmer tent and can't afford the Hilleberg I like this one a lot,  the Marmot fortress https://www.marmot.com/fortress-2-person-tent-39480.html?dwvar_39480_color=9945&dwvar_39480_size=0000ONE&cgid=equipment_tents_2-person-tents#start=1 Often they are on sale, I picked one up last year for under 200. They are truly 4 season in that they have 2 doors with mesh screens as well as vents and are well ventilated for summer but also you can zip up windows over all the mesh and vents to keep out cold breezes and wind. It really does make a big difference, although a warm sleeping bag and pad are still the most critical things. I hope we can all get out camping again soon!

Edited by BethS

• 3 weeks later...

Easy cheap way to add some insulation to the sleep system, could use it under or over the pad. Also makes for a good backup if you spring a leak at night, not comfortable but would add enough warmth to get through the night and not loose heat to the ground. Folded up also makes a good sit pad.

https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/accessories/products/thinlight-foam-pad

Edited by John Martinsen

• 1 month later...