Kayak fishermen

josko

The fall bonito run has brought out numbers of kayak fishermen to Woods Hole. I towed one guy who got caught in the current and pushed out to Buzzards bay. 'Didn't know there was current there', no PFD, no spray skirt, ...  To me, the whole fishing thing looks like an accident waiting to happen, and I'm not at all sure what, if anything, i should do about it. Lecturing folks about stuff like PFDs and sprayskirts doesn't work. Is it any of our business if one of them washes up dead? If it is, what's a reasonable course of action/? I'm not finding one.

I was in Wales this summer doing a Leadership Provider training when we saw a kayak fisherman towing his buddy who was IN THE WATER for almost half an hour because they had gotten caught up in current. If they can’t curb this type of behavior in a location that is home to such a world-recognized organization based around paddling education and safety, I don’t thing we can do any better.

help those in need to the best of your abilities, alert authorities to life-threatening situations, and let the masses be. None of us are in a “position of authority” as far as the general public is concerned, so any direct criticism of someone’s actions will mostly be in vain.  It is the rare occasion that anyone will actually listen, and when they do, they ask how to join our club!

On 9/16/2019 at 9:31 AM, josko said:

The fall bonito run has brought out numbers of kayak fishermen to Woods Hole. I towed one guy who got caught in the current and pushed out to Buzzards bay. 'Didn't know there was current there', no PFD, no spray skirt, ...  To me, the whole fishing thing looks like an accident waiting to happen, and I'm not at all sure what, if anything, i should do about it. Lecturing folks about stuff like PFDs and sprayskirts doesn't work. Is it any of our business if one of them washes up dead? If it is, what's a reasonable course of action/? I'm not finding one.

Don't jump on fisherman. It's a recreational kayak problem. I've been fishing from sea kayaks long before recreational fishing kayaks were invented. I use long skinny kayaks like my QCC 700X, Epic 18X, Seda Glider and Falcon 18. Take a look:

1489312014_Striper4HouseIs38incha.thumb.jpg.512fdb0fb6ebc09766c4ba999f670b07.jpg

Edited by leong