Misery Island

JeffMoffett

Hello,

I am a relatively new kayaker. I have been to some of the trainings in Hamilton. I would like to finish my season with a run to Misery Island with a small hike

We would Leave from Lynch Park which should be about 2.5 miles each way. Should be free as it is after labor day

If you are interested let me know and I will devise a more elaborate plan. This should be a level 2-3 trip as we will hug the coast and only go about a mile out to get to Misery

Thanks for posting this, Jeff. I, too, would love to join, but have Saturday commitments. If the trip goes Sunday, I should be able to join you. I will follow the thread.

John

Jeff, I will join you.  Saturday looks like it might have a shower or two (not a washout), but that may be preferable since the weekend is supposed to be on the warm side.  Anyway, let me know what time you are thinking of launching and keep me in the loop if anything changes.

I could probably do either day and since I started the season with the Easter paddle out to Misery Is. it would be fun to do it again.

Don't which day would be better.  I found this forecast but right now it only goes to Sat --

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=42.5266667&textField2=-70.8691667#.XXeVb5NKgW8

-Ken

15 minutes ago, Ken said:

Take a look at the forecast discussion here.  Scroll down to the .LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/... section.  They tend to be a bit technical, but can give a better indication of the overall picture and how likely or unlikely the forecast might hold.

The thing I noticed about Sat is -- SSW wind 6 to 9 kt increasing to 9 to 12 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 23 kt. A chance of showers. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

I would think 2-3ft seas wouldn't put a trip beyond level (I'm starting to really enjoy paddling in waves and swell).  Gusts pushing offshore at 23kts would be my concern.  But, I never take forecasts to literally until about 48 hours before.

Yes, Ken, waves and swell can be enjoyable to paddle in!  SSW wind is blowing mostly on-shore, not off, because wind comes from the listed direction:

image.png

Indeed the 23kt gusts would be annoying, but if overall winds stay below teens, it should be manageable.  As you said, this all depends on what actually develops as the day approaches.

1 hour ago, rfolster said:

Yes, Ken, waves and swell can be enjoyable to paddle in!  SSW wind is blowing mostly on-shore, not off, because wind comes from the listed direction:

Total brain-fart on my part. ? I was out in the Brewsters outside Boston Harbor a few weeks ago in a NNE wind that was blowing us back in hence SSW would have been offshore.  I got the geometry all mixed up in my head.  Thanks for setting me straight.

-Ken

The thing I like about the weather.gov forecasts is the hourly weather graphs you can get -- https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w3=sfcwind&w3u=0&w5=pop&w7=rain&w8=thunder&w9=fog&w10=swlp&w11=swlm&w12=swlp2&w13=wwh&w14=wvh&AheadHour=63&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=42.5267&textField2=-70.8692&site=all&unit=0&dd=&bw=&marine=1 which provide a good idea of how conditions will developer during a day.  I've used them for years for skiing.  They only have them for certain locations for marine forecasts but I like that they add waves/swell.  Wind doesn't look bad either day.  Chance of showers Sat PM.

10 hours ago, mhabich said:

West Beach is also open now, and would provide a less muddy launch with a shorter walk. 

Doesn't West Beach cut the paddling distance by 2/3rds or more?    

55 minutes ago, Ken said:

Doesn't West Beach cut the paddling distance by 2/3rds or more?    

It does, but you could add by going up into Manchester your harbor or down into the sound to whatever distance we choose.

My thought is somewhat early Saturday. Maybe 9 o’clock?

staying closer to the coast I’m less worried about swells and welcome a small challenge. 

Im fine with modifying the route as well though I don’t remember the cast of from lynch being that muddy. There is a small sand beach on the back right of the parking lot to leave from 

I'm fairly new to the north shore and would be cool with any route in the 6-10 mile range in up to level 3 conditions.  If you pick the lunch site, I could show up by 9:00 AM.  Just need to know if you are sticking with Lynch or switching to West Beach.

Is this parking lot  (above red pin) and beach (left of red pin) for Lynch?

image.png.9926108aac43cc19cc72340fdc864584.png