New Castle / Seavey Island 8/31/19

JanetL

People: Sue H, John H, Kate H, Janet L
Route: Odiorne around eastern side of New Castle, North to Seavey Island, past Badgers, then reverse back to New Castle returning on the western side back to Odiorne
Distance: (via string-on-chart estimate) 10.5 NM
Conditions: Sunny winds 5-10 W, seas 2-3 feet (prediction - much less for us) 
HT: 12:35pm

4 of us set out on this gorgeous day from Odiorne with the plan to circumnavigate New Castle Island in the counterclockwise direction, but also perhaps go around Seavey Island and to Pierces before heading back to Little Harbor. We had gentle swells and a bit of a push going north along the outside of New Castle. The bit was going around the point at Fort Constitution was interesting - the accelerating water there interacted with the frequent boat wakes for some bumpy confused water, but we got through uneventfully.

Continuing north, we decided not to stop by the three cannons and the NO TRESPASSING signs for our break (sorry, Sue! ;) ) and instead headed to Traip Academy boat launch on the Kittery side. Nice ramp, porta-potty, picnic tables, $5 launch fee.  Also, the absolute highlight of the paddle (and the reason I'm writing a trip report) ... the swimming ponies.

Yes, that's right... swimming ponies. A horseback riding class of small children taking their ponies swimming at the boat ramp. 1 pony was very enthusiastic and 2 were not so pleased but eventually cooperated. You could tell the ponies were not used to salt water in their mouths - lots of smacking lips and rolling eyes. Kate got a couple photos:

pony1.jpg.62ab1e812d71ecbd1272e005bab66cda.jpgpony2.jpg.4938400bbd46a655feef3e72c214ce0f.jpg

It really was very impressive and I think the first equine paddling encounter for all of us. 

Eventually we saddled up and headed out to finish our Seavey island circumnavigation - but turns out, this is not a thing that the Navy Police will let you do. They were polite about it though. Instead we reversed course and had an uneventful paddle back down the quiet side of New Castle.

Overall a great day - thanks to my fellow last minute planners for joining me!

Janet 

IMG-1117.JPG

Edited by JanetL

There is a very large security perimeter and a large fine. But you should not have needed to reverse. Just cross by Badgers Island? Either below or above? Last I knew the Kittery lobster boats were using the channel by the new drydock. I usually continue up past Warren's so I cross closer to the middle bridge. 

I went around Gerrish. Outside first,and met the AMC group and then back to Odiorne. There were a lot of people otw which was nice to see. 

Actually our original plan was to cross in the passageway between the eastern side of Badgers and the western side of Seavey, in order to shoot down the western/southwestern side of Pierce toward Shapleigh Island, to the estuary of western New Castle.  Since retiring its hard to recognize the significance of weekend days, long weekends, holidays etc.  For me, I did not think ahead to the amount of boat traffic, the associated boat wakes combining with current, and the increased constriction between Portsmouth mainland and Badger (further increased by the large and long pier on the southeastern corner of Badger & the close-by bridge abutment...all of this impeding our ability to see the boat traffic moving in the Piscataqua River through Portsmouth Harbor).  Sometimes when you have never been in a location before it can be difficult, or just a miscalculation (I'll speak for myself) when encountering a new water environment (to include the fact that this tidal river looks and behaves very differently throughout the tide cycle).  Yes, continuing along the north side of Badger to the proximity of RN #4 and the bridge would have been a good option for crossing...less constriction and better visibility...and likely less confused water from dense boat traffic (thanks Paul for pointing this out !)  Turning around, as we did, was also a good option, as adjusting one's plan on the fly due to conditions/newly acquired information in real time, is a useful tool.  On the day of this trip, the increased density of boat traffic near downtown Portsmouth created a high risk environment and plan adjustment was prudent.  A part of On-the-Water Incident Management is to anticipate not having an "incident" in the first place, so both plan adjustments described seem prudent to me.   Conversely, an overly tight leash can restrict exploration and fun...Oh yeah, that balance thing we strive for in life !  

Once again a good day to be on-the-water, a special thanks to Janet and best to fellow paddlers, John and Kate...and of course the class of swimming ponies and children !