SOS on NDK kayak?

pitt16

G’day Paddlers....I have the opportunity to purchase either a Romany Surf or NDK Explorer for a fabulous price.

—I have not test paddled either kayak. Most of my paddling is on the Hudson River for 6-10mile exercise paddles. 

— I do paddle large lakes in the Adirondacks.

*Since many of you have experience with both kayaks I’m wondering what you would suggest regarding which kayak to purchase with the paddling that I do. Note: I do get at least two ocean paddles in during the season. I paddle at least 80+ times per/year. 

Your suggestions to me will be much appreciated and valuable....Thanks, and Regards,....Paul

I recommend the Explorer based on your description of primarily doing “exercise” paddles. It will track in a straight line better than the Romany, which will allow you to concentrate more on body movement rather than steering adjustments, minor as they might be. 

I would strongly suggest sitting in each and getting familiar with the fit. A test run on the water would be ideal if you can manage it. 

Surf is for bigger/taller folks. If you need a Surf for those reasons, Explorer will probably be tight unless HV. I'm 6'5", 210 and would not fit in an Explorer. I have an HV.

By the same token, if you are not very tall or heavy/circumferential :-), the Surf may be too much boat for you.

Are you a pleasure or fitness kayaker (not that fitness kayaking is not utmost pleasure)? Do you camp? Either boat has plenty room, Surf even more than regular Explorer. For distance, the Explorer has some advantages.

I love my current Explorer HV and I loved my Surf before I switched to an Aries 155. If you're mainly fitness-oriented w only 2 ocean paddles per year, consider a fitness oriented boat (i.e. surfski).

Edited by Inverseyourself

Inverseyourself is correct and no one else mentioned this, but the Explorer is a lot of boat and for myself, when I owned one, I found it to be a constant effort to drive it through the water.  I am about 5'6" and have strong shoulders and have been paddling for 20yrs, plus...

The Romany Surf, as far as I recollect, was also designed for larger paddlers.  If this describes <you>, then you will be fine in either boat; but, if you are of more modest physique, then an original Romany will likely be a better fit.

You did not give us enough information to offer appropriate advice!

Both are great boats. The Romany surf cockpit is  for a bigger paddler , more akin to the Explorer HV cockpit (has knee bumps and a higher deck)   than the Explorer cockpit. On paper the Romany surf is for paddlers 180 lbs and over, but I think 200 lbs and over might  be  a bit more accurate if paddled unloaded . It's a great kayak and if you're doing mostly workout paddles with no speed or mileage requirements it wouldn't matter between the two since you'd  get your workout  in the Romany surf to keep it at speed, , just that the Romany surf will move slower than the Explorer. .  Maybe cockpit size and fit should be your biggest consideration : if you need a roomier cockpit, the Surf. If a less roomy cockpit, with the added feature of more speed ,  go with the Explorer. Both handle extremely well in wind and conditions and track superbly: they  need minimal to no skeg.      

Edited by PeterB

Thanks so much for the intel regarding the Romany Surf and Explorer. I am 5’8” and 208lbs. 

I want a kayak that tracks well with minimum effort. I’ve been paddling a CD Caribou for the last 20years. It tracks like a train and is highly maneuverable. I just can’t pass up purchasing one of these NDK kayaks for a spectacular price. That is why I am inquiring. Thanks much for the feedback.