Si Tech neck system

Jim Snyder

Being frustrated with replacing neck gaskets as described in a recent thread, I decided to try the Si Tech neck ring system:

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/quick-neck.html

This ring once glued in the drysuit allows the quick change of a neck gasket by removing a yellow band from a groove in the ring and fitting a new one without glue. This could actually be done at the launch if you carried a spare. It also makes it possible to use silicone gaskets which cannot be glued. They also make a product for wrist seals but I am not doing that at present. These products were developed for the diving community whose drysuit needs are somewhat different from ours. 

My materials arrived a few days ago:

50180149_IMG_03731.thumb.JPG.1d4effc478a7256cc2c9f5eaee7a4015.JPG

I had assumed I was going to glue the ring in with Aqua Seal but after watching this video, 

I ordered some drysuit glue: https://www.diverightinscuba.com/drysuit-glue-16688.html. Still waiting for it to arrive. English clearly was not the first language for the video preparers, it might have been google translated.

The people at Dive Right In Scuba have been very helpful. The people at Kokatat advised me that this might void my warranty. Weighing the risks and benefits, I decided to go ahead. I will post after installation.

Edited by Jim Snyder
ad text

Someone brought one to a gasket changing workshop I did here in California. I thought it looked bulky and cumbersome.  I can't imagine it hanging around my neck.  I looked quickly at the video and so long as you don't cut off too much of the neck or wrist, I can't imagine it voiding your warranty. I would assume that you can remove it if you needed to send it in to Kokatat.  If you have to cut past where where they could re-attach another gasket, I would imagine it could void the warranty.  (Meaning if the opening becomes too big to attach another neck gasket). 

I wouldn't want to risk the warranty but,  I would imagine that if the suit was leaking due to delamination of the material, the suit will still be covered under warranty.  Especially as it is the material itself that has the warranty and not the gasket.  

Looking forward to hearing how it feels when you are paddling. 

Suz

Glue up today.

My glue turned out to be clear, not black like in the video, which was an advantage because it allowed me to see my alignment line:IMG_0545.thumb.JPG.57d7515adda10a3e6972eaec93d0c61c.JPG

I honestly couldn't distinguish this glue from ordinary contact cement.

I found a bucket lid that was good for holding the suit in position:

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.c2ed0b2052d8a8c5f7a84f9a2648b14a.JPG

I used two coats of glue as in the video. I cut open a plastic shopping bag to have something a little more substantial to keep the mating surfaces apart as I went around:IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.60c3cf3548e1a3790c337635292c3552.JPG

This was the hardest part and I became concerned as I was about halfway around that things weren't going to align at the end. As it turned out it finished up with a little tugging and manipulating the fabric. It's not a perfect job but I think it is satisfactory. At this point I pulled the neck over my head to see how it felt. This was encouraging. 

I used a pill bottle and the heel of my hand to roll the glue joint:

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.817ee7c7e0df71b56ab867f9b3aac37d.JPG

I feel like if I did this again I could do a somewhat better job, knowing what to expect. Next step, let it cure for a bit then install the silicone gasket. Eager to try it out as my spare suit has been leaving me a little damp sometimes...

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

Installed silicone gasket:

This video was helpful:

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/videogallery/gallery/single/product_id/3236/media_video_id/1181/

It went in pretty much like the video, although I'm glad I wasn't doing it for the first time sitting on a beach in the rain.

IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.a1598c0af835981dd0c2f209b2554414.JPG

Finished installation. The ring does tent the suit out a little.

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.af732b2c7fc858733f2794f13db8b3c5.JPG

I put the suit on to see how it would feel. I can feel that it's there if I put my hands on it and press but I don't think it will be noticeable paddling. The only real point of contact is on the collarbones and it's not really noticeable.

IMG_0556.thumb.JPG.7033aea88b8742d671d861b91e97e0cf.JPG

Doing this install is somewhat of an act of faith as I believe it would be difficult to remove. I have read that heat will break a contact cement bond but I don't hope to have to try it. 

I paddled with the new installation yesterday for a medium length trip. It is very slightly harder to put on and take off but this is insignificant. After a few times I think this will not matter. Once on I could not tell it was there unless I felt for it with my hands. I will say I thought the silicone gasket might be a little hotter or sweatier than latex but it was a warm day for a drysuit generally.

I'm sure this plan is not for everyone but I think it will work well for me. If anyone wants to try it I'm happy to help.

• 1 year later...

Follow up.

The bad news: Sadly I'm abandoning this modification. The problem is with my big giant head it's so hard to get both the ring and the gasket on and off that I put a lot of stress on both the ring and the gasket that on doing a safety inspection this morning I found the ring starting to fail. 

The good news: My local whitewater shop, Outdoor New England, or O. N. E., Is doing drysuit repairs at very reasonable rates. I'm dropping it off tomorrow to get a standard neck gasket and maybe replace the wrists just because they're getting kind of old. 

https://www.outdoornewengland.com/

Brian, it was more the geometry of trying to get the ring to clear my head at the same time as the gasket. The gasket itself really wasn't a problem. Outdoor New England is now installing three new gaskets and going over my suit for any other problems. The yellow retainer had slipped out a little and the ring was starting to come unglued in one place, both as a result of the struggle to put on and take off. Anyone who's watched me taking my suit on or off lately knows what I mean. I did like the silicone gasket, I wish they could be glued in.

If anyone wants the Si Tech ring and silicone gasket, you're welcome to it.

Honestly it might work well for someone else. It's a matter of geometry, anatomy, and tayloring. It was fine once I had it on and if I could have gotten in and out without so much stress it would have been great. 

I picked up my drysuit from Outdoor New England today with three new gaskets. They did a great job at a very reasonable price. If anyone wants to get a suit tuned up during the summer and you paddle with me, I would be happy to ferry your suit to Franklin if that works out for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Jim, I was looking for this thread!

I dive an OMS drysuit (purchased my DUI) with DUI ZipSeals silicone gaskets on wrist and neck -- I've tried the ZipSeal dry gloves too. This system is critical for replacing gaskets because even the smallest cut or stretch in a gasket makes the suit useless underwater.

I love it, but I think my head is bigger than average. Similar to you I have a problem getting my head in the hard ring that holds the neck gasket. There's no good alternative for this really, glueing on gaskets is just impractical for my diving schedule.

Just wanted to share my similar frustration!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim, and other paddlers interested in the SI-TECH system.
I personally use this system and love it.
Jim I initially also had the issue where the yellow retainer ring would be partially unseated after I popped my head through the suit.
The fix was to stretch open the latex neck seal with my hands, and hold it open, so that my head could easily go through.
If I just pushed my head through the latex neck seal without holding it open, my head would put too much pushing force on the latex neck seal, which would then put too much pulling force on the yellow retainer ring, thus causing it to be partially pulled out.

Another reason why I love this system is that you can combo it with dry gloves or a dry hood for a completely dry system, which you cannot do with glued in seals, and this added comfort/dryness/warmth makes a big difference to me when out & about in below zero temperatures. 
And because I now have a dry system for my hands & head, I can start to use more conventional thermal protection under my dry system, like a toque under my dry hood, or glove liners under my dry gloves.

Also on the off chance that other forum member ended up not taking the Si-Tech system off your hands, I would be more than thrilled to have it.
My email is floyd.pinto@gmail.com