Best rack for a VW golf wagen

gpolkin

I just pulled the trigger on a new VW Golf wagon based on input read on this site and am now looking for rack advice. (I previously owned a 4runner with 66 inch wide yakima bars).   The factory weight limit on the Golf is 165lbs which means I might be able to carry 3 sea kayaks if I can buy the right rack set-up.   My hope it to run two on edge type racks on the outside rack edges and foam blocks in the middle.  Anybody currently carrying three kayaks on a Golf or other wagon type vehicle.   Do you have rack specs you can share.

Tks,

Greg

congrats on your purchase. I have a VW Golf. Love my car! I have actually carried 4 sea kayaks on top - all on edge using the kayak stacker.... and that was one set of kayak stackers with 2 sea kayaks on each side.  I wouldn't want to do it every day (that one time was just about enough!). We all got to where we wanted to go (kayaks and all) the limiting factor for me was the gear that needed to go in the car..... since I don't have a golf wagon. 

I have a Smartwagen with 50" Thule racks. It carries three NDK's on J-bars, no problem, although the middle one is easier to load with two people and needs to be tied down before the outside boats are put on.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a VW wagon with Thule rack. I have an arrangement that allows me to extend the bars past the feet, and have about 5" sticking out on each side. I use saddles in the middle and on each side, I slide J-style carries onto the bars. One of the J-carriers folds down to allow a short person to get the middle kayak off the roof without having to lift it over an upright J-carrier. We've carried three kayaks and three people many times.

P1130217.JPG