Kokatat Idol Drysuit

eburgess

The Kokatat Idol drysuit came up in a recent discussion lately about relief zippers or drop seats in women's drysuits (an endless debate).  I don't think I have paddled with many people who wear the Idol, and I was curious as to what the paddlers who have it think about it.

Lorrie Allen has one, you can ask how she likes it.  

Pru, not sure what you have heard about the zippers used on the 2 piece suits but here is my take on it.... For some people, it works fine.  They are a bit of a fiddle to learn to use, but once you understand how they operate, they are fine.  The location of the zipper cover is just offset and below your belly button. It doesn't feel uncomfortable or interfere with spray skirt usage. Doesn't get in the way of your life jacket as it sits below it.

An issue for some people, women in particular, the two piece suits are trimmer in the bottom that the one piece suit with a drop seat.  The one piece suits for women are designed with enough fabric to attach the zipper for the drop seat and are therefore a bit more forgiving for "fat bottomed girls" :)  I wear a women's medium expedition but the 2 piece suits with the separating zipper "switch zip'... (allows for use of a different top with the bottoms), I would need to size up to a large which would be huge on me and would need to shorten the legs, the arms and the torso to get even a semi fitted garment.  So, for my body type, I am better off in the one piece style suits.

A benefit for men who are on expedition/camping or feel the need is that with the separating zipper/2 piece, they can more easily handle pooping when necessary which is impossible and fraught with disaster with a one piece suit. 

Suz,

Thanks for the insight on the Idol drysuit.  I never considered that the bottom half of the suit would be cut slimmer than other dry suits made by Kokatat as the measurements listed for each size is the same across each drysuit design.  I currently have an Expedition drysuit with a relief zipper.  Although I like the suit, as a woman I am always curious about easier ways to handle bodily functions.  My other concern about the Idol is the drytop part. I find it very hard to wiggle in and out of drytops.  My Expedition drysuit, with its big cross chest zipper, is very easy to get in and out of.  Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution for us gals.

Liz

• 4 weeks later...

Liz , when I was at OSKC last September, Dympna and some other ladies discussed the idol suit. Dympna said it's the wettest suit she has ever had, I believe she has had 2 idols if I remember correctly. She is not a fan of it!

Pam, that is very interesting.  Was the zipper the cause of the wetness problem?  From what I understand, it has to be lined up correctly, and it takes some practice to do it.  Thanks for the input.

• 3 months later...

The zipper on the Idol is still a work in progress...  The overall fit of the suit is more comfortable, and I like being able to put on the top at the last minute and take it off quickly on warmer days.  As Suz indicated, it takes some fidgeting to figure out how to line up the zipper, and it needs to be tightened all the way down.  Once I figured out both of these things, I've stayed dry.  But I learned the hard way and got wet a couple time first...

Lori, thanks for sharing your experience.  I kind of like the idea of the two pieces, but the zipper comments have me a little concerned.  I have to think also that even with gloves, pogies etc., when paddling in cold weather my hands get cold and dexterity becomes an issue.  i guess I will stick with what I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously considered the Idol thinking it was a very good idea with lots of possibilities.  And Kokotat was kind enough to send me a new suit to try.  Also Lori Allen was awesome and let me try hers on.  

Maybe it was my chunky thighs but I found the cut too tight in the upper thighs on both Lori's and the Kokotat provided suit.  I also had trouble with the zipper even though I'm a pretty mechanical person.  Folks said you get better at it but  I wondered/worried that manipulating it with cold hands could be an issue. 

In the end, the thigh comfort made me chose a back-to-basics style with a drop seat which I am happy with. I think it's very important to try the suit on, work with it and mimic the position and motions you would typically do. 

I brought a pair of heavy weight and light weight polypro to my neighborhood seamstress and she put in a zipper matching the relief contour and I've been very happy with it.  No discomfort in my boat either. 

Karen

I owned an Idol drysuit and had trouble with the zipper. I exchanged the suit after a year for a normal one-piece when the zipper failed a second time. First time was a broken tooth; second time it just leaked. Kokatat customer service was great. 

Im pretty late to the part on this but I also am not a fan of the two piece style suit.  My first dry suit was a kokatat Radius.  Kelsey also had one as well.  We owned them for about 8 months.  After a month I found it was quite difficult to take on and off.  Additionally the zippers leaked like crazy.  I particularly did not like the way the suit sealed with that belt screw thingy.  Kelsey stripped hers once.  I called kokatat and expressed my concerns on the suit and they gave me 20% off the suit.  I ended up selling both suits and buying two brand new kokatat Icon's.  If you are interested in a 2 piece drysuit I would recommended a pair of kokatat gore-tex whirlpool bibs with a tunneled dry top.

Thanks for your replies, John and Jonathan.  I have an expedition drysuit, but was curious as to how the two piece has performed after being on the market for a couple of years.  Looks like I will stick with the drysuit I have.

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 9:00 AM, eburgess said:

Thanks for your replies, John and Jonathan.  I have an expedition drysuit, but was curious as to how the two piece has performed after being on the market for a couple of years.  Looks like I will stick with the drysuit I have.

I also have Kokatat Expedition (2012) and I was considering an 'upgrade' to the two piece Radius.   Up until now all I had read were 'positive' reviews in regard the Idol/Radius.    The user feedback here on NSPN definitely tips the scales.   Thank you Jonathan, John and all.