This session is part of a series where NSPN members can learn and cooperatively practice paddling skills in a saltwater environment. There is no skill level requirement, you just need a safe boat and basic gear:
- closed-deck sea kayak suitable for coastal paddling, with sealed bulkheads or float bags, and grab lines along the perimeter
- dress for immersion and spray skirt
- lunch, snacks and fluid
- a desire to have fun, learn and share!
Location: Riverhead Beach, Marblehead. https://goo.gl/maps/fgbGt3piMjoHVQJb6
Registration: Please fill out this form to get your details on the float plan: https://forms.gle/BPQg5JyCXAmNeh6W8
- Even More Boat Control: Modify your boat’s movement with draws, prys, rudders, braces and more.
- If there is sufficient wind – Boat Handling in Wind and Waves: Use strokes that work in the ocean and weather environment to get the results you want.
- If we don't have much wind – Rock Gardening: Practice reading and paddling in the dynamic water around our many local rocks. This will focus on technique, not adrenaline! Big conditions will cancel this segment, but predictions are for only ~1 foot swells.
Due to the potential for rock gardening, please bring your helmet. If you don't have one, let us know and we'll try to rustle one up for you.