Workshop is now full, register for wait list at end of this post.
Joe's message regarding the workshop:
It's easy to pick a date and announce a paddling trip. However, it's more of a challenge to gather and interpret all the information you need, and then turn it into a trip that's truly fun, rewarding and safe. This interactive 2-session winter workshop (for NSPN members) will help us all plan great paddles, from day trips to longer outings. This presentation is open to all levels, as we can all aspire to deepen our trip planning skills!
I have organized many sea kayaking trips, from short day paddles to week-plus expeditions. In collaboration with others in the sea kayak community, I have developed a set of learning materials and tools that cover the essentials of planning paddling trips.
The workshop will include:
- Understanding nautical charts and their relationship to the real world
- Understanding and gathering weather and sea conditions
- Working with tide and current predictions
- Bringing it all together by actually planning some paddles and reviewing each others’ plans.
- There will be homework between the two sessions, and both sessions will include breakouts into groups with real-world planning exercises.
A lot of the subject matter is covered in the NSPN Trip Planning Workbook [ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uY8i2L7OdBwiPnkAHmg8nguez-INWV6twn5kXLqKZ3k/edit?usp=drive_link ] which we’ll use freely in these sessions.. Much of the material will make use of my free paddle planning website, Floating Trails (https://floatingtrails.com) and we’ll check out how to make the most of it.
Registration information : Workshop is now full, register for wait list below !
To register for wait list, click this link ( https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdNUh9Fvs3EESI6yfsf9gBvYcGefPX1lsCsiSZC7X0OOHk2QQ/viewform?usp=sf_link ) and complete the form.
Please follow this event for any updates.