Forum Upgrade

jason

We have been testing a new version of the message board and are getting ready to roll it out.

One of the change will be that we will no longer have a separate username and display name. We are planning on consolidating to just use the loginname. If you want your loginname changed please drop me a PM and we can do that.

The current plan is to roll out the new version Tuesday night (Jan 12 2016), please expect downtime during the upgrade.

I will update this thread when the upgrade is done and issues can be reported to this thread or if you have issues posting to the thread after the upgrade you can e-mail webmaster@nspn.org.

Thanks -Jason

The upgrade has just finished. 

it took just over 7 hours from start to finish.   Across all off the forums we have close to 70K posts.  

If you noticed anything that's not working please report it to this thread or e-mail webmaster@nspn.org.

Thanks -Jason

Jason,

Noticed the following message on in the "Upcoming Events" section on the home page.

Software error:

404 Not Found at nspn-cal.pl line 23.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@nspn.org), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

40 minutes ago, David M said:

Jason,

Noticed the following message on in the "Upcoming Events" section on the home page.

Software error:

404 Not Found at nspn-cal.pl line 23.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@nspn.org), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Thanks, I will take a look at fixing the rss feed to make that work again.

2 hours ago, Kevin B said:

Hi Jason,

Thanks for doing all the work and follow up.  One thing, and it may be me, but is the calendar currently missing?  I can't seem to find it.

I have updated the menu bar to make the calendar more visible. 

24 minutes ago, billvoss said:

Tried to buy a pool session, it failed with an error about processing my payment.  Probably because it neglected to ask me how I wanted to pay.

Bill, not sure what happened, but try going back to the Store tab (top of the forum, second from the right) and select the second of the three options called Manage Purchases.  You should see the pool session you placed in your cart, and hopefully there will be a way to complete the payment there.  If not, please send me a PM and we will work it out.

15 hours ago, rfolster said:

Bill, not sure what happened, but try going back to the Store tab (top of the forum, second from the right) and select the second of the three options called Manage Purchases.  You should see the pool session you placed in your cart, and hopefully there will be a way to complete the payment there.  If not, please send me a PM and we will work it out.

Hi Rob,

The uncompleted transaction shows up under Orders.

NSPN Message Board | Store | Orders

Shows Order #1319 as Pending

On the far right are PayNow and Cancel Invoice buttons.

When I click PayNow it takes me to Checkout Step 2 (Confirm & Pay)

When I then click the "Place Order And Pay" button I stay on the Checkout Step 2 page, but the content changes to.

! There was an error processing the payment. Please try a different payment method or contact us for assistance.
with a red background.  There is also a Confirm & Pay button with a gray button, when I click "Confirm & Pay" the screen simply refreshes.

We still have time, I'm trying to purchase 1/23/16.  One of the rare afternoon pool sessions.

-Bill Voss

P.S.

When I tried to PM you I got:

Maintenance in progress
We're sorry, but this website is currently unavailable.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

Try again

I'm not certain if that was a software issue, or just bad timing.  Though the "Try again" button did not seem to do anything.

Thanks for the update Bill.  Yes, we have found an issue with the link between the website and PayPal that we are working on.  The very recent "Maintenance In Progress" error you received was simply another part of the forum upgrade process and just bad timing - nothing to do with what you were doing.  We hope to have the PayPal issue resolved as quickly as possible and will post here when it is done.

PayPal payments are active again.  If you have already tried to make a purchase, go to the  Store tab (top of the forum, second from the right) and select the second of the three options called Manage Purchases.  You should see any purchases waiting to be paid, and you can now pay them through PayPal.  If you need further assistance, please PM me or email membership@nspn.org.

Not too significant, but unless I'm mistaken:

There doesn't seem to be a "preview" button now?

The little "Share this Post" thingie on the top right doesn't show the post number now?

There doesn't seem to be a list of people reading the threads now?

-Leon

Yes, there seem to be a couple of nice little features that have gone away with this update.  I have always used the "Unread Content" feature to keep up with everything that is going on, and you could select to either read the latest unread posts in the thread or mark the whole thread as read right n the preview section.  Now, you have to click on the little dot or star before the thread title to see the latest posts, or click on the title to bring you to the very beginning, that's it.  It is possible that some of these features may be brought back in later "patches", but for now, I think we will have to work with what we have.

While I haven't noticed any functional issues, I have to say that the color scheme is really drab and lacking in contrast. Can this be readily changed to something more eye catching and easier to read?

I guess I jumped the gun. It looks like only the "Message Board" was altered. I could have sworn that all the original color photo mastheads and layout had disappeared but now I do seem to have full access to them. Very strange. I guess I'm not as computer savy as I thought. In any event, feel free to remove my comments as they are redundant.

Doug

1 hour ago, Doug said:

I guess I jumped the gun. It looks like only the "Message Board" was altered. I could have sworn that all the original color photo mastheads and layout had disappeared but now I do seem to have full access to them. Very strange. I guess I'm not as computer savy as I thought. In any event, feel free to remove my comments as they are redundant.

Doug

Doug,

The upgrade was only the message board.   The people that wrote the message board software have been pushing everybody running the 3.x version to upgrade for ~24 months.   We waited a fairly long time for the upgrade.   The 4.x version is the version that they are providing security and functionality updates as 3.x has been deprecated.  

With the new version it was a complete re-write and with that it has some real pluses and minuses.     One of the thinks that I think that you will like is how easy it is now to upload and attach pictures.

When we setup the dev version of the site back in July it was pointed out that one can edit post in work and easily cut and paste it into the forum without the formatting issues that we had with the 3.x version.

We are hitting a number of bumps with the upgrade.   Some of them were know before the upgrade such as that the skins wouldn't transfer over,  in time I expect that the BOD will bring the person in that built the 3.x version.   Others such as the RSS for the calendar changing urls and formats was not expected.

It wasn't the cleanest or easiest upgrade.   Rob's been doing a great job helping with it and hopefully we will get it to where people are happy with it and hopefully we are another 5-7 years away from a version upgrade that's this disruptive.