Gelcoat Repair

ThomasL

I"ve ordered hull and deck gelcoat from P&H through a broker to make the repairs to my Quest. The boats hull # was necessary to supply material matching the batch used on the boat at the time of manufacture. Even with the original formulation I realize that due to sun fade color matching could prove difficult. I will probably make the repairs myself, but would at least like to get an estimate from a reliable professional. Has anyone had experience with a shop specializing in marine gelcoat repair?

Tom

Are you sure about Lincoln doing repairs? I was under the impression that, since Sandy sold the firm, they no longer do such work -- but I may be wrong?

They definitely do repairs and they do a good job from what I hear. I second Carl Ladd at Osprey too. In the area, those are the places I would recommend. So, head south or north depending on who is closer to you.

Or if just a simple repair and nothing structural, just go ahead and do it. The color might be a bit different but surely close enough not to matter.

(Coming from she who regards the boats as tools/appliances to get the job done)

They definitely do repairs and they do a good job from what I hear. I second Carl Ladd at Osprey too. In the area, those are the places I would recommend. So, head south or north depending on who is closer to you.

Or if just a simple repair and nothing structural, just go ahead and do it. The color might be a bit different but surely close enough not to matter.

(Coming from she who regards the boats as tools/appliances to get the job done)

Since I basically "shot my wad" to obtain the new Surge, and have all the tools in house, the Do It Yourself option is currently a very attractive.

Tom

If you need some instructions, you can check out my "Gelcoat Repair and Restoration" album here: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/107841735XmwxIb

One thing you can count on is that the color is not going to match on the deck. The gelcoat on a Surge is too thin for the aggressive sanding technique I show on an Anas Acuta, but you may be able to achieve some degree of color restoration using Dolphinite or a similar mildly abrasive product.

If you need some instructions, you can check out my "Gelcoat Repair and Restoration" album here: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/107841735XmwxIb

One thing you can count on is that the color is not going to match on the deck. The gelcoat on a Surge is too thin for the aggressive sanding technique I show on an Anas Acuta, but you may be able to achieve some degree of color restoration using Dolphinite or a similar mildly abrasive product.

Tom - my first try at gel coat repairs was using Brian's directions. Easy to give it a shot.

Brian, Tom has a Quest so he will be fine as the gel coat is not thin on a P&H boat!!!

Since I basically "shot my wad" to obtain the new Surge, and have all the tools in house, the Do It Yourself option is currently a very attractive.

Tom

Tom,

The other suggestions are good. You might check with P&H to see if they sent you a "waxed" gel coat. If not you should order some Mold Release to spray on top of the gel coat to allow it to cure. Also having a warm place to work is key.

-Jason

Tom - my first try at gel coat repairs was using Brian's directions. Easy to give it a shot.

Brian, Tom has a Quest so he will be fine as the gel coat is not thin on a P&H boat!!!

Unfortunately I am well aware of how thick the deck and hull gelcoat is on my Quest...several thumbnail sizes "chips" with the glass mat exposed, but nothing structual. Does anyone know something about using liquid styrene to prep the existing gelcoat immediately prior to applying the repair product? One of my son's is a plastics engineer and he is looking into it. Styrene is apparently an important component of the resin, and applying it to the old cured resin makes for a much better bond with the new. Also, obtaining the liquid in less than a 55 gal drum is not easy.

Tom

Brian,

Thank You for your instructional link. It looks more informative than many of the library I have accumulated in my computer bookmarks. Like the photos!

Tom

Unfortunately I am well aware of how thick the deck and hull gelcoat is on my Quest...several thumbnail sizes "chips" with the glass mat exposed, but nothing structual. Does anyone know something about using liquid styrene to prep the existing gelcoat immediately prior to applying the repair product? One of my son's is a plastics engineer and he is looking into it. Styrene is apparently an important component of the resin, and applying it to the old cured resin makes for a much better bond with the new. Also, obtaining the liquid in less than a 55 gal drum is not easy.

Tom

I wouldn't worry about finding styrene for two reasons:

1- It's unnecessary. Clean the existing surface with lacquer thinner, acetone, toluene, MEK or any other solvent that doesn't leave any residue and you'll get a good bond. Products based on polyester resin (like gelcoat) bond well to each other.

2- Styrene is extremely toxic. You really don't want to mess with it.

I'm glad to hear that you found my gelcoat repair album useful. Since your boat has thick gelcoat on the deck, you may want to consider wet-sanding it to restore the color before (or after) doing your repairs. It's a lot of work, but it will look great and you may even sand off a few ounces. ;)

• 1 year later...
Hey, Brian -

That part of your site isn't up anymore. I'm halfway between fixing up my dings on my own or taking it over to Osprey - not sure yet. Is your site up somewhere else?

John H.

Webshots, which is where my stuff was hosted, went down the toilet and has been replaced with an absolutely useless site called 'Smile'. I'm in the process of building my own site to host the material I had on Webshots. As with most projects, it's taking a lot longer than I planned, but since the Gelcoat repair was the most popular of my tutorials, it will be one of the first ones I do. I'll post here when I've got some content ready.

Had my 1st glass boat exactly 3 weeks and a friend dropped her end in a gravely parking lot (much to my horror) hunks flew off right on the stern right on the curve, i gathered all sorts of info. off the web and talked to T. Bergh and Gnarly Dog. Did my 1st repair and the color was slightly different, but it was so shiny you could hardly tell, but i then added a KeelEazy strip and it covered it. It was surprisingly easy and i felt tremendous satisfaction. A real confidence booster as well. You can always send it out if you think you messed it up.post-101421-0-56232700-1363204775_thumb.post-101421-0-10342300-1363204813_thumb.post-101421-0-87296900-1363204846_thumb.

Brian:

Your new website looks great!

Minor detail in the write up of the fiberglass repair: if I remember correctly, you held the milk jug backing for the inside patch in place with a blown-up paddle float, not foam. It conformed perfectly and evenly to the curve of the hull and probably put more pressure on the patch. I've used the technique for the first, inside patch on many later repairs on the inevitable holes. Float bags do the trick as well.

Best,

Scott

Brian:

Your new website looks great!

Minor detail in the write up of the fiberglass repair: if I remember correctly, you held the milk jug backing for the inside patch in place with a blown-up paddle float, not foam. It conformed perfectly and evenly to the curve of the hull and probably put more pressure on the patch. I've used the technique for the first, inside patch on many later repairs on the inevitable holes. Float bags do the trick as well.

Best,

Scott

Actually, I'm pretty sure I used a small Thermarest pad rolled up and stuffed between the seat and the hull. A paddle float will work in areas where there is more room. I'll edit the tutorial to suggest it. I've used custom-carved Minicel foam backers in a few repairs, too. Thanks for the feedback!